A video of hens scratching in the sunshine

Everything's going smoothly, just wanted to share a vid from this morning of the birds reacting to treats.

I'm pleased with how my setup has turned out—a better windbreak and intact grasses encourage "snuggling" at night and more movement during the day. The girls even managed to put on weight this winter since I started scheduled CORID treatments. But my oldest are getting old, almost three years, and I'm feeling the hatching urge already...
Could you give me a quick run down of your CORID treatment? I'm a new owner (1 year) and am about to give my girls their first run of treatment since they're on leaf litter and compost and I've noticed some dark brown manuer. I was going to follow this guide for chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Could you give me a quick run down of your CORID treatment? I'm a new owner (1 year) and am about to give my girls their first run of treatment since they're on leaf litter and compost and I've noticed some dark brown manuer. I was going to follow this guide for chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Sure! I find that one half to a full teaspoon of liquid 9.6% CORID per gallon of water does the trick for prevention, administered over three days every other month. I've only dealt with one acute infection but 1-2 teaspoons per gallon per day for a week fixed them right up.

CORID is Amprolium, which "looks" like the vitamin thiamine—coccidia take up a bunch of this "fake" vitamin, which interferes with growth and reproduction. Because the quail take it up so much more slowly, it's hard to hurt them with it.

Also be aware that some quail feces will be brown/wet/sticky by nature. If it smells super strong and isn't bloody, it's probably a "cecal poop." Galliformes like chickens and quail have pouches of intestine called ceca where bacteria ferment their more fibrous food and help them absorb nutrients better.

Hope you and your flock are well!

Sure! I find that one half to a full teaspoon of liquid 9.6% CORID per gallon of water does the trick for prevention, administered over three days every other month. I've only dealt with one acute infection but 1-2 teaspoons per gallon per day for a week fixed them right up.

CORID is Amprolium, which "looks" like the vitamin thiamine—coccidia take up a bunch of this "fake" vitamin, which interferes with growth and reproduction. Because the quail take it up so much more slowly, it's hard to hurt them with it.

Also be aware that some quail feces will be brown/wet/sticky by nature. If it smells super strong and isn't bloody, it's probably a "cecal poop." Galliformes like chickens and quail have pouches of intestine called ceca where bacteria ferment their more fibrous food and help them absorb nutrients better.

Hope you and your flock are well!
Very informative, thank you!! I had no idea about cecal poop, maybe that's what I'm seeing since I rarely see the brown poop and my girls appear in good health. I'll have to read up on that. Thank you again, and here's to a better 2021!

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely video! It gives me great pleasure to live vicariously through others. I would love to own some quail in the future, but information has been so hard retain since my brain injury last summer. Thus I hope you share more videos! ❤️

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely video! It gives me great pleasure to live vicariously through others. I would love to own some quail in the future, but information has been so hard retain since my brain injury last summer. Thus I hope you share more videos! ❤

I plan on adding a lot more content to my channel, but I'll post the especially cute ones here too. If you have any ideas for things you'd like to see, let me know!

I plan on adding a lot more content to my channel, but I'll post the especially cute ones here too. If you have any ideas for things you'd like to see, let me know!
Questions for you.. are the Celedon just referring to the egg color, or are they still a coturnix quail? And can you have 6-ish females with no males without a bloodbath?? Thinking more and more about quail!

Questions for you.. are the Celedon just referring to the egg color, or are they still a coturnix quail? And can you have 6-ish females with no males without a bloodbath?? Thinking more and more about quail!
Celadon is just a colour and it refers to the pretty colour that some Japanese/Coturnix quail can lay. You can’t tell which quail lays the colour by looks though. From my understanding it has a mutation that makes it that way. They can be considered rare and the eggs are beautiful! Btw you should get quail! All females should be fine, sometimes their might be a bit of *fighting* between them for pecking order reasons but not usually a bloodbath. :)

Celadon is just a colour and it refers to the pretty colour that some Japanese/Coturnix quail can lay. You can’t tell which quail lays the colour by looks though. From my understanding it has a mutation that makes it that way. They can be considered rare and the eggs are beautiful! Btw you should get quail! All females should be fine, sometimes their might be a bit of *fighting* between them for pecking order reasons but not usually a bloodbath. :)
Ok cool!! I got warned that i could walk into heads missing and blood splattered.. which i thought might be a bit terrorizing for my little daughter 😂 but!! Noise is also a factor.. im trying to find clips of them clucking.. but maybe I'm not finding them because it's a non event!? There are native quail where I'm at as well, plus doves, finches, sparrows.. nothing super loud though. So as long as they can blend in, it works.

I'm planning on putting in some raised garden beds and build a hoop walkin coop around it.. so they can have some nest boxes amongst the veggies and be safely enclosed. Itll be a project though. I have 3 chickens living inside my house 😂 so outside birds is a plus!!

Back
Top Bottom