A Visiting Chicken in my yard. Please help me!

greenpalm

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
McKinney Texas
Late this afternoon, my son came and got me and told me that there was a chicken in the yard. Sure enough, there was and is. She has roosted on a brick pile out there. She showed up around 4:00 and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave. She's a little friendly, but walks away if I approach her. If I squat down on the ground she will come closer to me, curious.

I had NO clue what to feed her so I put some wheat germ and a few oat crackers out for her.

I called the city and reported her to animal control, mostly because I wanted to get her back to her home if someone was looking for her, not because she was causing any problems. Apparently no one has started looking for her yet. They told me they only come out for dangerous animals, and I said there was no need for them to come, I only called to try to get her back home.

So, I'd like to offer her something better to eat in the morning, and I'm a little worried about her being cold. I put a cardboard box with an old blanket out there, in case she wanted it, but so far, she prefers the bricks. What can I get to feed her?

I need some advice! I don't want anything to happen to her.

Should I be at all worried about neighborhood cats?

Thank you for any advice.

Julie

First congratulations, I think you are now owned by a chicken! If she has roosted in yoour yard tonight she will likely return to the same place to roost each night. Especially if you are feeding her. If she is still there in the am you can give her any vegies from your kitchen except potatoes, no potatoes! The skins have something toxic to chickens. Or you can give her a scrambled egg for protien. She will need some clean water as well. You can cut the vegies into smaller pieces if you like. Its likely she has been foraging so she is getting some nutrients that way. If you like you can gte some feed at any feedstore or even some walmarts carry it. Chickens are really woderous pets that bring hours of enjoyment. and eggs to eat. I hope you keep her. And if you cruise the threads here you will learn alot. Many of us got started the exact same way. So what does she look like? Edited to add cats are natural enemies of chicks not so much chickens...but if your worried, once she has roosted she will be in a sort of sleepy trance, you could pick her up, keep it dark, and carry her indoors for the night.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

Here is what she looks like. I looked through some photos I found. To me she looks like an Easter Egger? But what the heck do I know!

43420_visitingchicken.jpg

She's welcome to stay, she's kind of cool!

Thanks for the advice too. An egg? Seriously? Isn't that, like cannibalism?

I'll make sure she gets a good breakfast.

Julie

Is that her picture or a picture of a bird that looks like her? I was wondering because it looks to me (and I hope I'm wrong, my eyesight isn't what it should be, but) like a boy.

No that's actually her or him!? Should I expect a very rude awakening in the morning?

My neighbor was here with her kids playing when the visitor arrived, and we had a long discussion about if it was a he or a she and we decided "She" but not from any wisdom or experience. It is legal to keep chickens in our neighborhood, but not roosters. How would I know the difference? Yikes!

(and why, do you hope you are wrong?)

Thanks,

Julie

Quote:
Hi, neighbor!! and WELCOME!!
I was hoping I was wrong so that you would keep her and have fresh omlets for breakfast (and yummy egg salad sandwichs for lunch) and get more girls and become one of us and be our new friend!
And s/he is actually beautiful. (If it's a boy, maybe I could bring one or two of my girls over there to, uh, say hi! lol
Hmmm, he and Pebbles would make a handsome couple....we'd have to call him BamBam lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom