A warning from a firefighter about winter heating....

I posted links last year to my fave heater- this year I'll post a couple:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Runner-Fla...ultDomain_0&hash=item230b426501#ht_813wt_1059

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Flat-P...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a603febc2#ht_580wt_1059

I use the second with great success, as it's localized, and I can stand it next to the roost. The only goal is to keep the neediest birds from freezing, and so I don't use heat in all my coops. I use heated dog bowls and base heaters for my waters- they're designed for it. Don't reinvent the wheel. Be safe.

For the umpteenth time: Unless you're raising some especially tropical varieties of chickens there is no need to give most any heat at all--none, nada, zero!! A well ventilated coop will serve them fine and you'll not only save money but prevent a possible disaster. BTW, simply leaving manure in the coop to compost will add enough heat to keep most birds comfortable but, again, you must make sure their coop is vented because this also produces moisture. It is the moisture, combined with cold, that cause the primary problem: frostbitten combs and wattles. Some people are overpampering their birds to the birds' detriment both to their health and safety.

Quote:
Absolutely. They come well dressed for cold. I have wondered how many of these "pampered" chickens are actually overheated.

People keep chickens in Alaska without heat. Really, folks.

my clamp light is up high - my coop is an old shed - nothing is going to splash on it... it is only intended to take the chill off if necesary - and it is just a plain ol 90w light bulb. I will keep in mind these other ideas if needed though. I am confident that my light is secure.

I do also know that my coop is an old barn - it is ventilated and should be relatively draft free but I'd rather be safe than sorry - the heat is available if needed but by no means it the whole coop toasty warm - plus my dog is out there also during the day.

and here the water freezes fast - I can't put down a heated bowl - cause the dog chews stuff - don't want him chewing on that cord. The light bulb is no worse than turning a light on to see by - but it just happens to be over the water where it can do some good hopefully

All the advice is always appreciated though - we can never be too safe with our girls

Last edited:
If the lightbulb is high enough that water (supposedly) can't splash on it, it ain't doing a very good job of preventing the water from icing up EITHER. Heat, you will recall, *rises*, so you have to run MUCH more wattage (= much less safe) on a high heat source above the water than you would if you used a heated base.

Of course the safest arrangement is just bringing out fresh water in the morning and maybe the afternoon too, which will work in only-moderatly-cold coops.

(aside: Honestly I would like to see people experiment a LOT more with insulating waterers. That is my fiddling-around project for this winter (have bought two brand new 1-gal plastic waterers to play with, just haven't had cold enough weather or enough free time to really make it worthwhile yet). I think that for a whole lot of backyard chicken keepers, an insulated jacket (with, obviously, a drinking hole left open) would probably be the best break between safety and efficacy; but it seems like practically nobody tries this.)

Anyhow, two -- no, three or maybe eleven -- thumbs up to GottaLuvChicks for posting this thread. The more times people see this stuff in various ways, especially from people 'in the business' so to speak, the more likely that SOMEONE will get it and realize their coop is a preventable accident waiting to happen. (Or in some cases, not waiting)

Thanks for the great post,

Pat

I got one of those GINORMOUS heat lamp fixtures from premier pet supplies. It looks like a gigantic icecream cone and has a ceramic fixture and a huge shield over the light. I think it even has a breakaway cord to cut the power. But it's HUGE. I am not heating any of my coops, but this is being used for babies until feathered so I needed something. Also have heated water bowls, but that's pretty much it. Deep litter is all I am trying. For severe emergencies I have a barn I could move them to, but that would be for -30 or something outrageous - hoping that's not needed!

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=18266&criteria=heat+lamp

Last edited:
I, too, am experimenting: I want to make a solar heater with a panel of aluminum cans painted black under plexiglass, with the insulated conduit running from the top of the panel into the coop, coiling through a box of sand for a heatsink, and then back out into the bottom of the solar panel. Waterers would sit on the sealed box of sand.

Am I nuts? Look at how well these panels can work: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/pop_can_solar_p.php

LOVE
this idea! Was even considering having the return stretch be made out of copper and done in a flat coil to express as much remaining heat as possible before entering the panel again, so the coop would be heated from that loss...

Great Safety Tips!

Interesting Passive Heat Panel link by ChooksChick from above. Too bad that our weather patterns give us alot of clouds during the Winter months. Solar would only work well to heat supplementing.

The Hound Heater has been reliable and very safe heater for us (only 150 watts with thermostat). Those flat panel heaters also seem to be a good choice.

When using a heat lamp I've always hung it from a heavy metal chain. I loop it over a rafter and use a metal C-link to secure the end to the main chain, which screws closed, so the height of the lamp is adjustable. A second attachment point between the chain and the lamp is also advised, in case the handle accidentally detaches, even though it's a very remote possibility.

If anyone thinks that's not secure enough, I'd be interested in their suggestions for a more secure set-up. Kelly mentioned that hanging a lamp from a chain was a bad idea, but it sure beats a clip on, that can knocked off. With chicks, you also need to be able to adjust the heat. Although heat lamps aren't needed for most chickens, most of the time, there are still times when I need to use one.

Quote:
Ditto.

And I can also add that I had a regular heat lamp in my coop while I was acclimatizing some chicks to the cool weather, and the wire degraded and caught on fire. I posted about it, but will add it here as well. Since the hens really do not need heat once they are past the chick stage, it is not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom