A Word of Warning

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
Today DH opened up a new bag of chick feed. When he pulled off the top strip and string, he threw it on the ground by the coop. Several hours later I went out to look at our 4 week old peeps, and the strip and string was INSIDE their pen! It must have blown over there and they must have pulled it inside. I can't figure out how else it got in there. I fished it out and told DH about it.

I just went back out there to close everybody up for the night and I noticed that there was another piece of string in the pen. I started to get it out, and when the chicks ran away from me, so did the string. Then I realized that it was wrapped around the leg of one of my little roos. We were able to catch him and cut the string off, but it had sinched down pretty tightly. I hate to imagine what could have happened if I hadn't seen it when I did - or if somebody had tried to eat it. Please keep all strings away from the chickens - even the string on the feed bag!

I have had that same thing happen to me! But it was one of my leghorn hens! And man, she was hard to catch and it was vary hard to get the string off! Please heed Schmije's advice!!!

Chicken Girl

Major Understatement!! I have had it happen before and it can actually get wound up so tight it will cut into their legs. when I used to work 2 jobs and would get home at 10p.m. run into the hen house to feed and water up before eating a sandwich and going to bed..this happened to me,,it was a couple of days before I got to actually spend time with the chickens and saw this....

I've been amusing myself since New Year's by making a ball from the feed bag strings, adding them as I pull them off each bag. It's almost the size of a billard ball already.

Quote:
Would you like me to send you my string, i go threw 75 bags a month bags of feed a month
big_smile.png

Glad you caught the string in time.

I found string on one of my silkies feet today, don't know where he got it,wasn't from the feed bags.

I learned when my hen got a string hung on her tongue that the back of their tongue has a < and the string get stuck under there

Back
Top Bottom