a wounded, rescued turkey from a livestock trailer

Though it wouldn't have to be of breeding age for a tom to try to breed it, would it? And if it tried to get away I think that would increase the risk of injury... I am just 'thinking out loud' here...

If it was kept in crowded conditions, the others with it *could* have pecked off the ends of the toes, and they do seem to like to peck each others beaks, too. Think there was a post in the peafowl forum recently where one bird pecked part of anothers beak almost off or something. There was a wild poult around here that had all of the toes missing from one foot, I referred to her as 'Peggy' because she basically had a peg leg. I first noticed that she seemed to be limping, one day I looked with binoculars and saw that she didn't have a foot on that side. I got a close up look when she trapped herself in one of my pens, think I have a picture of it somewhere.

It would be interesting to know her story! Too bad she can't talk...

Lucy is doing well and peeping away when we pick her up. Will the skin grow back over her thigh? Her poop is sometimes grey with white and sometimes brown. Chicken feed, some home made mash is what she is getting still to eat.

I imagine it will take a while for her digestion to get used to what you are feeding her, she is used to factory chow, hence the runny and off colored feces. If she did manage to escape and survive all those injuries, you should breed her, she is tough stock.

She is one tough bird that's for sure! She hasn't given up, so we certainly are not! My mom and I are looking for a forever home for her. My mom is 77 and her health is not that good right now - even our 10 hens are going to be re-homed for the winter at least.

Mom was wondering if we should put a splint on her toes to help straighten them out - or will exercise outside when she is recovered be enough?

Back
Top Bottom