A young blue heron (?) visiting our yard for over a week

Amethyst288

Songster
May 18, 2021
Hi, Is this a young blue heron (pictures below) that's been visiting our yard for over a week?
It comes just before sundown, and our two-year-old chickens run for cover.
Do herons go after fully-grown chickens? I'm curious as to why it returns every day -
and wonder if it is going to stay... Don't herons like to fly south at this time?
BTW, we're in southwest Iowa. Thanks!

Is it a young blue heron_.jpg

Young blue heron_.jpg

It appears to be a young Night-Heron, possibly a Yellow-crowned. Could it be going after rodents? It's not unusual to see herons foraging in fields, etc. I wouldn't worry about it going after your adult chickens.

It appears to be a young Night-Heron, possibly a Yellow-crowned. Could it be going after rodents? It's not unusual to see herons foraging in fields, etc. I wouldn't worry about it going after your adult chickens.
Thank you for your prompt replies! It's difficult to see its color in the photos, but it has like a tabby color on its back. If I can get a closer photo of it, I'll post it here. Thank you!

Thank you for your prompt replies! It's difficult to see its color in the photos, but it has like a tabby color on its back. If I can get a closer photo of it, I'll post it here. Thank you!
You're welcome! I am sure it's a Night-Heron and the shape fits Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

Back
Top Bottom