AAAAAAAAaAAAAaAaAA

Aug 1, 2023
Soooooooo……. One of my chicks drowned in the feeder? Like, not the water, the feeder. I wasn’t there, and I don’t know what happened, I just got a call from my mom. Is that common? Has this happened to anyone else?

Technically, that's not possible. I would bet that it died in the feeder and was walked over. Possibly the brooder is overcrowded, is my thought. That is strange wording ..

Is it this kind of feeder? I've had 2 chicks go in the holes and get stuck in the middle before. One died and one I was able to rescue.
quart-jar-feeder-color-options-.jpg
If not this type of feeder, it may just have died in or near it. Did you notice and chicks with odd behaviors recently? How old are they and how long have you had them?

Soooooooo……. One of my chicks drowned in the feeder? Like, not the water, the feeder. I wasn’t there, and I don’t know what happened, I just got a call from my mom. Is that common? Has this happened to anyone else?
Well, death could happen anywhere and drowning is technically suffocation via water inhalation (or my current understanding of it).. and aspirating or inhaling crumbles could be enough but more details are needed.. Pics of set up with description of space size, and stock or brood density (number of birds total). feeder type. Also age.

Pasty butt can be one cause for chicks to pass as well as coccidiosis.. both those conditions usually lead away from the feeder symptom wise, not to it.

Is the chick with a broody and mature flock or inside a brooder.. also where from, an outside source or your flock.

Just looking for clues.. right now, there's not enough details..

Seeing post #4 just pop up reminded me I have had chicks stuck in other feeder types to.. they lived because it was caught in time. I also ask, are we talking about dry feed or wet mash?

Sorry for your loss!

Well, death could happen anywhere and drowning is technically suffocation via water inhalation (or my current understanding of it).. and aspirating or inhaling crumbles could be enough but more details are needed.. Pics of set up with description of space size, and stock or brood density (number of birds total). feeder type. Also age.

Pasty butt can be one cause for chicks to pass as well as coccidiosis.. both those conditions usually lead away from the feeder symptom wise, not to it.

Is the chick with a broody and mature flock or inside a brooder.. also where from, an outside source or your flock.

Just looking for clues.. right now, there's not enough details..

Seeing post #4 just pop up reminded me I have had chicks stuck in other feeder types to.. they lived because it was caught in time. I also ask, are we talking about dry feed or wet mash?

Sorry for your loss!
Dry feed, large plastic tote for the brooder, before the death there were 17 chickens, all between 3 and 5 weeks.

This model of feeder, it was at ground level
Was the chick in the interior, like it fell in and couldn't get out? Chicks that age will be trying to roost on everything including feeders. We do unfortunately see posts about this style (plastic or metal) every year and so a top cover is highly recommended, especially when chicks are present.

Dry feed, large plastic tote for the brooder, before the death there were 17 chickens, all between 3 and 5 weeks.
I'm imagining the largest tote I possibly can.. which might be industrial agriculture farming pallet size.. even then, conditions (age and brood size) sound *possibly* right for accidents.. like one to be missing (inside the feeder) and not noticed before it's too late (dehydration is deadly fast perhaps enhance by a crop full of dry food, water also aids food motility/prevents blockages). Or even starting to slow down for the prior mentioned reasons, pasty butt or coccidiosis (not always presenting as blood in dropping).. My thinking that those symptoms lead away from the feed is only one possible clue for discussion and doesn't make it true.

Was the chick in the interior, like it fell in and couldn't get out? Chicks that age will be trying to roost on everything including feeders. We do unfortunately see posts about this style (plastic or metal) every year and so a top cover is highly recommended, especially when chicks are present.

I'm imagining the largest tote I possibly can.. which might be industrial agriculture farming pallet size.. even then, conditions (age and brood size) sound *possibly* right for accidents.. like one to be missing (inside the feeder) and not noticed before it's too late (dehydration is deadly fast perhaps enhance by a crop full of dry food, water also aids food motility/prevents blockages). Or even starting to slow down for the prior mentioned reasons, pasty butt or coccidiosis (not always presenting as blood in dropping).. My thinking that those symptoms lead away from the feed is only one possible clue for discussion and doesn't make it true.
Yeah, my mom said she went to feed them and found the chick. It was apparently in the feeder, I had seen 2 or 3 other birds in there in the past, but they always got out with no help, and would jump in and out on their own. I am visiting my dad, and when I left the farm yesterday, they were all ok.

Back
Top Bottom