AAHHHHHHH! THE FIRST EGG FINALLY!

Yes, but not all breeds or chickens start laying at 18 weeks. They don’t need the excess calcium until they are laying. I bet probably half of the people who helped write the Purina instructions have never even seen a chicken, and don’t understand that not all breeds lay at 18-20 weeks.
That's true. Mine ranged from 21 to 25 weeks. I switched at 18 weeks but mixed my leftover starter/grower feed with the layer feed.

No, because I don’t see why it’s necessary. The food is developed to have everything they need fresh out of the bag, so taking the time to ferment it just seems like a waste to me.
There's so many different views. I do agree that it should be easy taking care of them. I do love the idea of giving them stuff that will benefit their health. But in the long run, we should probably leave that to the experts.

There's so many different views. I do agree that it should be easy taking care of them. I do love the idea of giving them stuff that will benefit their health. But in the long run, we should probably leave that to the experts.
Yeah. Fermenting feed seems like too much of a hassle to me and so many people have gotten it seriously wrong, it doesn’t seem worth the effort when nutritionists are figuring out what they need and how to get it to them dry and in a bag.

How exciting! I look forward to getting our first egg(s)! They should be old enough to start laying in late October, I think. You say it was your hen Ebony that laid it. that brings a question to mind.
If no one is there to see which hen is in the nesting box and you have multiple hens- how can one tell which hen laid it ( or them as I have nineteen)?

How exciting! I look forward to getting our first egg(s)! They should be old enough to start laying in late October, I think. You say it was your hen Ebony that laid it. that brings a question to mind.
If no one is there to see which hen is in the nesting box and you have multiple hens- how can one tell which hen laid it ( or them as I have nineteen)?
I have a chicken cam. Lol

Day vision.

Attachments

• 1588438967.png
    1588438967.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom