Abacot and Silver (Spotty and Snowy) Call duck Thread - Genetics, etc...

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Pics
Attached
Yes, if you could, since the two males look almost identical and I suspect that the females are where the differences can really be seen :)
image.jpg image.jpg

That is correct, yes. This is why their is much confusion over the two colours. Would you like to know anything else?
The first is Silver and the second is Abacot, right?

So it seems Silvers used to be the same as Snowy, or at least the closest accepted color, until they were split into Silver and Abacot.

I made a Welsh Harlequin to Indian Runner cross. To create F1 (the first generation of offsprings) I crossed a male Harlequin to a female dusky Runner (I got a female, "Green") and a female Harlequin to a male trout Runner (I got a male, "Cloud").

Here is F1. "Green" (leftmost) has a brownish chest and a white belly. "Cloud" has one Blue gene, but has typical colors for a half-harlequin male. Both carry one li and one lih gene. On the left is a picture of the back of "Green". Her dusky Runner mom is just to her right, with her head not in the picture. (That dusky mom carries ONE light gene.)

DSC00335.JPG DSC08327.JPG

For F2 (second generation), I bred Green and Cloud, I got some normal Harlequin looking progeny. For example, both "Milk" and "White" are Blue Harlequin ducks and have expected coloring in juvenile plumage. Both have grey central marks on their feathers and some brownish color on their chests, upper back and tails.

DSC08395.JPG

I do have a question about "Bandit" and "Orange (feet)", both males in juvenile plumage. While "Bandit" has expected colors, "Orange" does not have ANY brown in his coloring.

DSC08373.JPG
"Bandit" and "Orange"

Look at the contrast! I know that neither drakelet carries a 'blue' gene, as both are now starting to show blue feathers in their speculums. But on the right, "Orange" shows no brown at all in his feathers. His spots are also much lighter than Bandit's spot.

Which gene(s) would account for the color differences between "Bandit" and "Orange"?

Here is a front facing picture of "Orange". The yellow tinge on his front is only because he got wet in the tub. The dry feathers on his chest are white, with slight grey marks in the middle. And yes, he is male. He has male parts and has a male's soft voice.
"Orange"
DSC08293 B.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08342.JPG
    DSC08342.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This is a joke:

I have figured out the exact reason why "Orange" has no reddish color on his chest. It is because his half-brother stole all of it.

This half-brother is by the same dad but by a different mom.

DSC08494 B.jpg

Back
Top Bottom