Abandoned baby chicken. Please help

Hmmm maybe. Although I don’t think anything physical happened. When I looked at her and the dead chicks I didn’t notice any trauma (or as much as a novice could notice) and she could walk when I first got her. Maybe the mother just wasn’t around when the babies hatched so they all died? I tried the soupy mix but she didn’t seem interested at eating or drinking at the moment. But will try again in a bit as I think it’s a great idea! Although over the past hour it did get a bit colder. Trying to convince dad to let me use the heat lamp or pad but he’s being difficult. Got her in the boiler room again though at the moment. Thanks again :)
If he still says no, I would try to find a glass jar and fill it with some warm water. If she stays next to that, it can give her a tiny bit of heat at the very least.

Hmmm maybe. Although I don’t think anything physical happened. When I looked at her and the dead chicks I didn’t notice any trauma (or as much as a novice could notice) and she could walk when I first got her. Maybe the mother just wasn’t around when the babies hatched so they all died? I tried the soupy mix but she didn’t seem interested at eating or drinking at the moment. But will try again in a bit as I think it’s a great idea! Although over the past hour it did get a bit colder. Trying to convince dad to let me use the heat lamp or pad but he’s being difficult. Got her in the boiler room again though at the moment. Thanks again :)
Maybe she was a late hatch. Broody hens abandon the nest if some of the chicks have already hatched and need to eat and drink.

Do you know what brand and size you are feeding? Chicken feed can come in pellets, crumble, and mash. Chicks like crumble or mash.

Poor thing.
She needs HEAT. Not varying day temps and a night room that isn’t warm enough. If she doesn’t have warmth, all the other effort you put into saving her will probably go down the drain.
If it doesn’t terrify her too much, you can hold her against your body. It works a charm sometimes on sick human babies....same idea.

Aloha from Kauai @EmmaTheCabbage . Your doing great. For heat source you can warm op a washcloth or just any added warmth for an option. Not sure what island you are on but we are reading high 80's on most so just a little warmth. She needs to be in the 90's during the day being we are humid that should be ok.
You have gotten some great advice. The only thing I would add is that I notice when my chicks are that small they need someone to show then how to eat. I tap with my finger on or near the food like a mamma would. Break it down smaller, soften it, what ever it takes. Once she gets it she will be fine from there.
She does look down, do warm her up ♡, keep her out of any drafts.
She has very unusual colorings for our feral. What island you stay?
I’ll go look for a wash cloth to heat up and try. I was using paper towels in plastic but they didn’t seem to want to hold their heat. Maybe a wash cloth will work better since it’s bigger. I’m on Oahu but I live just about as high up as you can get so it’s a little chillier up here!

That’s a good idea to try teach her to eat. I just tried the soupy food water idea but she didn’t appear to want to drink at that time. Wanna try get her energy back with soup as I dont think she even has the strength to peck whole food at the moment.
Managed to convince my dad to put a heat bulb in the boiler room. It’s 85F in their at the moment. Hoping that will push it up to 90 and maybe she’ll perk up a bit.

Up here in the middle of Oahu we’ve got some crazyyy feral chickens. Beautiful colours. White and grey spotted ones, brown, blonde, black, there’s so many different coloured ones. I’ll have to get some pictures next time I’m out.

Poor thing.
She needs HEAT. Not varying day temps and a night room that isn’t warm enough. If she doesn’t have warmth, all the other effort you put into saving her will probably go down the drain.
If it doesn’t terrify her too much, you can hold her against your body. It works a charm sometimes on sick human babies....same idea.
The boiler room is 85 and we just switched out the bulb for a heat bulb so hoping that will push it up to 90. I admit it was a bit chilly today for her (low 80’s) but now we got that bulb I’m hoping she’ll perk up a bit. Will update everyone in a couple hours.

I would hold her up to my body but I’m too worried about them pesky mites. The dia-Earth helped a lot but I still see them crawling up my arm. Don’t suppose you know if humans can get infested too?

Maybe she was a late hatch. Broody hens abandon the nest if some of the chicks have already hatched and need to eat and drink.

Do you know what brand and size you are feeding? Chicken feed can come in pellets, crumble, and mash. Chicks like crumble or mash.
Hmmm maybe. Although I think there was only 5 eggs and there was about 4/5 babies total. Would a mom really only leave with just one baby? And the living one looked about same age as the others.

I don’t know what brand it is. I went to the feed store and explained the situation and she was kind enough to give me some free food. It’s like really small pellets. Maybe the size of some a chunky rice grain?

You are doing great. I totally understand!! My dad can be like that sometimes too! Which to me, also makes a bit of sense. But when I grow up, I will be able to do what I want.

Anyhow, this might be your sign to get a few chickens! They are amazing birds! I wish you best of luck and I hope things work out!
Thanks :) I offered to pay for the electricity it covers and everything and he was being difficult when we went to go pick up the food too. But there’s only so much I can do since it’s his house and he’s the one driving haha. Glad I’m not the only one lol.

I’d love to get chickens properly but we live in an apartment. I managed to convince him to let me keep it till it’s better. Got a couple of friends who may be interested in taking it after. I just could stand to let it get eaten by a cat ;-;

If he still says no, I would try to find a glass jar and fill it with some warm water. If she stays next to that, it can give her a tiny bit of heat at the very least.
I'm off grid and this is what I did with my chicks. Warm water in a covered Mason jar, with a thin kitchen towel over it. I also tried a hot water bottle but they only ever went to the jar.

I’ll go look for a wash cloth to heat up and try. I was using paper towels in plastic but they didn’t seem to want to hold their heat. Maybe a wash cloth will work better since it’s bigger. I’m on Oahu but I live just about as high up as you can get so it’s a little chillier up here!

That’s a good idea to try teach her to eat. I just tried the soupy food water idea but she didn’t appear to want to drink at that time. Wanna try get her energy back with soup as I dont think she even has the strength to peck whole food at the moment.
Managed to convince my dad to put a heat bulb in the boiler room. It’s 85F in their at the moment. Hoping that will push it up to 90 and maybe she’ll perk up a bit.

Up here in the middle of Oahu we’ve got some crazyyy feral chickens. Beautiful colours. White and grey spotted ones, brown, blonde, black, there’s so many different coloured ones. I’ll have to get some pictures next time I’m out.
Please post some when you do!!

If he still says no, I would try to find a glass jar and fill it with some warm water. If she stays next to that, it can give her a tiny bit of heat at the very
managed to convince him to use the heat bulb in the boiler room. It’s attached to the ceiling so it’s a bit far away from her but the rooms very small and enclosed and it’s 100W so should be able to heat the room a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom