Abandoned baby turkey????!!

Rosypetals

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
I need help fast. I was on a walk in the suburb and I saw a shivering little ball of fluff. Turns out, it’s an abandoned little turkey baby that hadn’t been able to jump over the curb. It’s only a day old, and I raised chicks so I have what I think is all the equipment I need. I’ve just read that I should have left it, but it was almost pitch black outside and it can barley lift its head. We waited, it wasn’t cheeping for its mother anymore, it would have been dead by morning. We are bringing it to an animal reserve tomorrow first thing, but I want it to survive the night. What should I do???

Last edited:
So sorry, I can't really help. Thank you so much for rescuing the poor little guy! I'm no expert on turkeys (at all) but I'd assume they need the basic things: food (higher protein than chicken food), heat, and water. Read online somewhere that you should place shiny marbles in the water to get their attention and encourage them to drink. Also, make sure that the brooder is warm enough for them. Additionally about the water, I've read that you should make it lukewarm to warm as well. Though, there are much more experienced people who will probably reply soon whose advice you can trust more :lol: I hope he'll be okay!

So sorry, I can't really help. Thank you so much for rescuing the poor little guy! I'm no expert on turkeys (at all) but I'd assume they need the basic things: food (higher protein than chicken food), heat, and water. Read online somewhere that you should place shiny marbles in the water to get their attention and encourage them to drink. Also, make sure that the brooder is warm enough for them. Additionally about the water, I've read that you should make it lukewarm to warm as well. Though, there are much more experienced people who will probably reply soon whose advice you can trust more :lol: I hope he'll be okay!
Thank you so much, I will put marbles in the water. For anyone else, it seems a little lethargic? I don’t know if that’s because it’s late and it’s tired, but it could be weak too I don’t know the difference.

Yeah, I'd probably give it some nutridrench in the water. Maybe make it some warm wet mash with nutridrench water to try to encourage it to eat. Scrambled eggs could be good too. Is it a wild turkey?

Yeah, I'd probably give it some nutridrench in the water. Maybe make it some warm wet mash with nutridrench water to try to encourage it to eat. Scrambled eggs could be good too. Is it a wild turkey?
It is a wild turkey, we don’t typically have farm animals around here and it definitely has the patterns and eyes of a wild turkey. I feel kind of hepless now. It stopped drinking, I will scramble some eggs and try to get it to eat, I don’t know what to do if it won’t.

The animal shelter opens soon, right?
I called in and they basically said I should have left it to die and let nature take its own path. I did not feel right doing that, it would have for sure died that night. Ive been force feeding her little pieces of scrambled eggs and electrolyte water , and I will take her outside as much as I can where she won’t be cold. She’s inprinting on me, which worries me for releasing her but she’s getting stronger.

Back
Top Bottom