Abandoned Canada Gosling w/ health problems :(

KeyholeRanch

Hatching
Apr 24, 2015
Idaho
Hi everyone,

I posted this over in the Emergencies/Cures section a couple of days ago and haven't gotten any reply's so I was hoping someone on the goose thread could help me. I really need to know if I am doing the humane thing here because it breaks my heart to watch this poor baby try to get around....

I have a flock of chickens and this year I ended up getting a baby African goose from a friend in early April. I couldn't get another goose pal for him until the 13th of this month so I bought him two Pekin ducks to hang out with until then. So I have a 5 week old African goose, two 4 week old Pekin ducks, and a 5 day old African goose. Tonight when my boyfriend and I got home there was a goose abandoned in a box by our front gate, no note or anything. I think it is a Canada goose that someone tried to raise but failed, so they abandoned it with me. I think she may be 4-6 weeks old because she is getting a lot of her adult feathers. Her right leg is the most problematic as it has grown in completely wrong, almost backwards. She can get around awkwardly but it looks painful. The left leg is less problematic but still not 100% normal. From what I have read this is a vitamin deficiency so right now I am feeding her Chick Starter that is 19% protein and supplementing with Brewers Yeast. I also gave her plenty of fresh grass and a little bit of chick grit. Her right wing appears a little funky as well. I was just wondering what to do to help her or even if I can.

Thanks so much,
Jesika

Don't feed medicated chick starter! Can you put some tape on the foot to straight it out? You might want to find a wildlife rehab that has experience with these geese, they often have secret recipies for raising the babies.
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom