Abandoned chickens- how do people do it?

Yeah, but these folks never even talked to the neighbors. I would have if it were my chickens I couldn't find/catch. And I had considered the hen being missing (broody) when they left, but I would think the roo should have been easy enough to find.
Oh, well. My parents are going to try to get me some pics soon, and I will post them to see what ya'll think.
Right now I am really trying to figure out where to put them. I know isolating new birds is a good idea, but I only have 2 pens and both have chickens in them! (one is my grown up flock, the other is 7 week olds and 2 hens rcovering from a dog attack)
I have the rabbit cages, but they are in the chicken yard!
How far isolated should the new birds be? My yard is big, but if I can't use the rabbit cages, I will have to build something.

woot.gif
I can't wait to see some pictures! Either way congratz on your new chickies!!
hugs.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I was a kid I had no pets till my neighbors moved away without their pregnant cat. Then a while later our neighbors moved away without their 6 bantam hens. The folks up the hill released their rabbits, and we caught them. My steer was saved from a dairy (they were gonna shoot him when he was born!) My ferret was found in a snowy parking lot. Strays and rescues have comprised almost all the pets I have ever had. Even my first hedgehog was a rescue. My current flock, my dog, and the turtle I had as a kid were the only ones who I found instead of them finding me. (excluding aquarium fish I bough in the dorms... more decoration than pets!) And even so, the dog is a stretch. His prior owner had 2 dogs, then a litter of 14 pups. I think he'd have paid me to take him, even though I was looking for a dog at the time. My dad has 2 dogs (rehomed by owners who couldn't keep them) and a plethora of cats, all strays abandoned in the little town he lives in. He goes through at least 50 lbs of catfood a month, even though there are less than a dozen cats he can pet. Most have gone feral long before they show up on his porch.
I almost never have to seek out pets. It seems they find me when I want them, and I am happy to take them in.

Back
Top Bottom