Abandoned Chickens in My Yard!

She looks like a Light Brahma (feathered feet, pea comb, Columbian color pattern).

I think the rooster is some kind of a mix. His single comb proves that neither of his parents was a pure Brahma--maybe a Brahma grandparent, maybe not. Other chickens with similar color patterns include Columbian Rocks, Columbian Wyandottes, Delawares, Light Sussex, and some sexlink roosters. None of those is quite right, but he could have one or more among his ancestors.
Thanks! That is helpful information. 🙂

When I was a kid we were the only small hobby farm in town and we would often find new animals in the yard that people dumped over the fence (accessible from the street). We got a very mean rooster that way and also a muscovy duck. These though were not mistreated by prior owners, just unwanted. I guess people thought we wouldn't notice!
It's so funny how people assume if you have animals you are good to take more. Lol

What a kind soul you are for taking them in and trying to help them. Thankfully no one has dropped off animals to us like that, though we did have someone ask us to take in their 2 remaining hens out of a 65 count flock that had been all but decimated by several predator attacks. Those two (a Barred Rock and a Splash Amerucana) arrived terrfied, but after several weeks of looking after them, they finally started laying again. After their quarantine period was over they integrated into our flock very well. Much luck to you!

What a kind soul you are for taking them in and trying to help them. Thankfully no one has dropped off animals to us like that, though we did have someone ask us to take in their 2 remaining hens out of a 65 count flock that had been all but decimated by several predator attacks. Those two (a Barred Rock and a Splash Amerucana) arrived terrfied, but after several weeks of looking after them, they finally started laying again. After their quarantine period was over they integrated into our flock very well. Much luck to you!
Thank you. It was lucky for those two you took them in. ❤

Back
Top Bottom