Abandoned Chicks at the Post Office

Agreed. An organization of holier than thou closed minded idiots that places the wellbeing of animals above humans or in the very least, equal to humans. They're also all about animals having rights, equal to an American citizen born human 🙄 I mean I don't agree with or tolerate the mistreatment of animals but they take things to the absolute extremes

Can we get back to USPS policy? I've no love for PETA, or the national SPCA flooding my TV with commercials late at night, but I'd much rather give them the attention they deserve. None at all.

Can we get back to USPS policy? I've no love for PETA, or the national SPCA flooding my TV with commercials late at night, but I'd much rather give them the attention they deserve. None at all.
Absolutely! I touched on my thoughts regarding that in my first post. Probably not relevant or possible, but I shared anyway. My first post was in response to some of the other posts I've read in this thread. Either way, I'm following along 🙂

That's really shocking.

That person ordered chicks and has no real idea of their needs. :(
I agree. If I understood her right, she was a teacher and got them for her class. She thought they’d be delivered. I said, “no ma’am they don’t ride around all day with the mail lady. You have to pick them up.” I call at 7am when we get chicks. EVERYONE except this customer is always there within 30 mins.

frankly with all the deaths Im surprised the PO still accepts them. It always comes out of their pocket . Its like a guaranteed win. ship 3 chicks , put $100.00 insurance on them then sit back and wait. Hopefully the majority of them make it in alive but if they dont the poster is covered anyway. Sad.
I truly appreciate workers like you.
Not always. Every winter at least one shipper will ship them on the absolute coldest day of the year. There’s rules and they are not supposed to ship them if they won’t survive the cold and we end up with mostly dead chicks. The company has to work that out with the purchaser.

That's a good idea, although not exactly consistent. If we're gonna move away from a PETA discussion -- those whose minds are made up are not gonna change their way of thinking -- then it makes just as much sense to also move away from the USPS topic, which is arguably just as relevant (or irrelevant) to those of us who raise our own birds. In both cases, black-and-white stereotypes don't lead to anything constructive. But I agree with Stormcrow that this thread was starting to get out of hand. I contributed to that and apologize if anybody was offended. My last post has been deleted.

At the risk of being accused of quoting Stan Lee, enough said.

That's a good idea, although not exactly consistent. If we're gonna move away from a PETA discussion -- those whose minds are made up are not gonna change their way of thinking -- then it makes just as much sense to also move away from the USPS topic, which is arguably just as relevant (or irrelevant) to those of us who raise our own birds. In both cases, black-and-white stereotypes don't lead to anything constructive. But I agree with Stormcrow that this thread was starting to get out of hand. I contributed to that and apologize if anybody was offended. My last post has been deleted.

At the risk of being accused of quoting Stan Lee, enough said.
Well, at one time it was an "Abandoned Chicks at the Post Office" thread, and USPS policy for what to do when that happens seems relevant.

But its incredibly hypocritical of me to call anyone out for a segue, as I'm more guilty of responding to passing comments not really on topic than most. Mea culpa.

I was jus
100% and not unless you held a gun to my head. PETA is horrible, and I would bet serious money that at least half of the folks who give them donations haven't dug deep enough to understand the true philosophy behind the group, which sees pet ownership as a form of slavery and exploitation. There is an enormous difference between animal welfare and animal rights, and Ingrid Newkirk and Peter Singer were all about the latter. "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy" is the rationale that the group uses to put rescued animals down, set them free in unsafe circumstances, and poison them. I used to train and show dogs as a kid, and these idiots who put antifreeze in dogs' water were always the reason that we had to have a friend watch our kennels if we needed to use the bathroom. There is nothing good about the organization.

I feel a rant coming on, so I'll stop with that. 🙄
I was at one of many dog shows as a child with my mom and I remember this huge panicked uproar broke out. It was PETA, setting the dogs loose on the grounds. We were in the city and I guess they had gotten to several people's dogs. Dogs were loose on the city streets and highways and people were frantic. That was the first time I ever heard of PETA.

I agree. If I understood her right, she was a teacher and got them for her class. She thought they’d be delivered. I said, “no ma’am they don’t ride around all day with the mail lady. You have to pick them up.” I call at 7am when we get chicks. EVERYONE except this customer is always there within 30 mins.
This is probably why she was confused.
**Edited**

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-161134~2.png
    Screenshot_20211010-161134~2.png
    941.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The post master is not inept, he/she is following the law. They can no more hand over the chicks than they could hand over any other mail because the addressee did not stop to pick it up. I’m sure they have no interest in throwing away their job or risking jail/fines for a box, even if it contains live animals.

After a certain number of attempts, they are likely required to handle the package like any other unclaimed parcel - return it to the sender. In all likelihood the chicks will be dead by then.

Does it suck? Absolutely. Is it the PO’s fault (or even the shipper’s)? Nope. For that matter, without knowing the whole story, the receiver may not be at fault. They could have had a family emergency or even have dropped dead.
The basic problem is ordering ANY animal to be sent by mail or any other form of unaccompanied delivery. Go to the feed store and order through them. That way the chicks will be delivered to a person that is physically responsible.
I seriously doubt that anyone trying to save the chicks would be fired. But to avoid the lack of accepting the care of a living package - don't use them.🤷‍♀️

The basic problem is ordering ANY animal to be sent by mail or any other form of unaccompanied delivery. Go to the feed store and order through them. That way the chicks will be delivered to a person that is physically responsible.
I seriously doubt that anyone trying to save the chicks would be fired. But to avoid the lack of accepting the care of a living package - don't use them.🤷‍♀️
Ordered my starter flock to be delivered by post office. I had no problems. But I was actively looking for them so I could pick up immediately. Seems like most ppl ordering that way are the same. This was just a weird situation that, thankfully, worked out fine.

Back
Top Bottom