Abandoned Chicks at the Post Office

I’m a postal worker and I’d do that. Who’s gonna get the clerk in trouble? Certainly not the chicken owners. But it’s true, it’s mail and we can’t just give it away or take it home ourselves. That’s a fireable offense. But I literally had a customer the other day say “can’t I just come and get them tomorrow?” “Um no ma’am. They are cold, they haven’t eaten and they are screaming 😂” 7 hours later someone came for them.
frankly with all the deaths Im surprised the PO still accepts them. It always comes out of their pocket . Its like a guaranteed win. ship 3 chicks , put $100.00 insurance on them then sit back and wait. Hopefully the majority of them make it in alive but if they dont the poster is covered anyway. Sad.
I truly appreciate workers like you.

Hey all. My husband stopped in at our local post office to mail something and heard a familiar peep. 8 chicks had been waiting since yesterday to get picked up. a couple of voicemails have been left to the customer to come pick them up. No answer. No customer. It's starting to get smelly and they're coming up on 72 hours. No food, water, or heat. My husband offered to take them at least just to rescue them and re-home them if necessary, but after talking to the postmaster general, the clerk was told she couldn't essentially give someone's mail to the wrong person. Husband promptly returned to the post office with some crushed up layer feed and electrolyte water just for good measure (no starter feed on hand anymore).

Anything we can do? Is there any point at which the post office can release them as unclaimed mail? I get federal law and all, but does anyone know if there might be an exception with live animals? It just seems cruel to let the clock run out if no one wants them.
SPCA?

That is just horrible!
I know that I've read posts where people have been given unclaimed chicks.
I would call PETA, animal control, and my congressman. I don't know how the postmaster could be so ridiculously inept. Morals should trump laws, and common sense should always prevale.
I find it bizarre to even post an animal. You can't do it in New Zealand

That is just horrible!
I know that I've read posts where people have been given unclaimed chicks.
I would call PETA, animal control, and my congressman. I don't know how the postmaster could be so ridiculously inept. Morals should trump laws, and common sense should always prevale.
Janie, you are so right. Well said! I don't care a flying flip what the law says. This is cruel. These are living creatures. I too would be calling everyone I could think of to get help for these chicks!

I feel anyone that is going to order any live animal in the mail needs to have a backup plan. No one knows if they can get sick with covid or anything else or have a family emergency before the due date for their animals to come. This way there would be no animals left behind to suffer for any reason. I have ordered ducklings online and they were just fine when I got them. Just my thoughts on the subject.

How infuriating. I’m glad your husband was able to help the poor little things. I had ordered our first batch of chicks online, until I found my local breeder. My post office called me before they were even open in the am and I was there within minutes to claim them. These people shouldn’t be given the chicks at all, unless there’s some insane extenuating circumstance.

The post master is not inept, he/she is following the law. They can no more hand over the chicks than they could hand over any other mail because the addressee did not stop to pick it up. I’m sure they have no interest in throwing away their job or risking jail/fines for a box, even if it contains live animals.

After a certain number of attempts, they are likely required to handle the package like any other unclaimed parcel - return it to the sender. In all likelihood the chicks will be dead by then.

Does it suck? Absolutely. Is it the PO’s fault (or even the shipper’s)? Nope. For that matter, without knowing the whole story, the receiver may not be at fault. They could have had a family emergency or even have dropped dead.

Back
Top Bottom