Abandoned egg found on UC Davis Campus

Puddingtheamericana

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2021
I found a mystery egg on UC Davis campus, I’m fairly sure it’s a duck egg.

I was recently at the UC Davis campus because my class was going on a camping trip and we stopped at a park/garden area for lunch on the campus. I noticed a lot of smashed and crushed white eggs along the paths in this small botanical garden like area near a large pen with some horses. whilst on the path i noticed a chicken sized snow white egg, a little off the path behind a big shrub. I step off the path and observe the egg. the egg was on its own, sitting on the ground of wood chips.
I proceed to look up types of birds found on UC Davis campus, the only matching option to the egg being mallard ducks, often found on the campus- not to mention during lunch the class was approached by flocks of mallards.
I take the egg and wrap it up with some paper towels to cushion it, and protect myself from any germs it could be carrying.
I know the egg was not in a nest as there were no feathers or any sign of nest where the egg was located, and I currently own 2 ducks who have begun nest making so I know what a duck nest looks like.
The egg was also surrounded by various destroyed eggs around the garden, recently crushed; so even if the egg was in some kind of nest or was being taken care of it was going to be crushed too by a predator (there were many squirrels in the garden).
We quickly leave the campus after lunch and get back into our vehicles and head to our camping location. I’ve incubated eggs before, although they were quail, so I knew the egg needed humidity and a temperature of 99.5 F.
I create a crappy makeshift incubator with a plastic bin and a cup of water for humidity. as for temperature, we were camping in an area that was 85-90 degrees for the duration of the trip, so being in a tent, the temperature goes up to about 99. I mark the egg with a X on one side and turn it throughout the day.

Now i doubt this did anything to incubate the egg, but I am now home and have a professional incubator from previous quail egg incubations. The egg is currently in the incubator at the temp and humidity needed for duck eggs, as I am assuming this is a mallard egg.

It’s far too early to see any development, and the egg was un-incubated for at least 5 days at the least so chances of development most likely have lowered.

If anyone is sure of what egg this is, (as i’m only 90% sure it’s a duck’s) or maybe might be down for adopting it on the slim chance it hatches in a month, let me know.

Attachments

• 98C64D31-D208-4D56-8D7B-414B95698C0C.jpeg
    98C64D31-D208-4D56-8D7B-414B95698C0C.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 12

I was recently at the UC Davis campus because my class was going on a camping trip and we stopped at a park/garden area for lunch on the campus. I noticed a lot of smashed and crushed white eggs along the paths in this small botanical garden like area near a large pen with some horses. whilst on the path i noticed a chicken sized snow white egg, a little off the path behind a big shrub. I step off the path and observe the egg. the egg was on its own, sitting on the ground of wood chips.
I proceed to look up types of birds found on UC Davis campus, the only matching option to the egg being mallard ducks, often found on the campus- not to mention during lunch the class was approached by flocks of mallards.
I take the egg and wrap it up with some paper towels to cushion it, and protect myself from any germs it could be carrying.
I know the egg was not in a nest as there were no feathers or any sign of nest where the egg was located, and I currently own 2 ducks who have begun nest making so I know what a duck nest looks like.
The egg was also surrounded by various destroyed eggs around the garden, recently crushed; so even if the egg was in some kind of nest or was being taken care of it was going to be crushed too by a predator (there were many squirrels in the garden).
We quickly leave the campus after lunch and get back into our vehicles and head to our camping location. I’ve incubated eggs before, although they were quail, so I knew the egg needed humidity and a temperature of 99.5 F.
I create a crappy makeshift incubator with a plastic bin and a cup of water for humidity. as for temperature, we were camping in an area that was 85-90 degrees for the duration of the trip, so being in a tent, the temperature goes up to about 99. I mark the egg with a X on one side and turn it throughout the day.

Now i doubt this did anything to incubate the egg, but I am now home and have a professional incubator from previous quail egg incubations. The egg is currently in the incubator at the temp and humidity needed for duck eggs, as I am assuming this is a mallard egg.

It’s far too early to see any development, and the egg was un-incubated for at least 5 days at the least so chances of development most likely have lowered.

If anyone is sure of what egg this is, (as i’m only 90% sure it’s a duck’s) or maybe might be down for adopting it on the slim chance it hatches in a month, let me know.

@ronott1 works there he might know something

It sounds like you were at the East end of the Arboretum. There are a lot of ducks there so yes, it is likely a duck egg. The campus ducks are breeding now and we will se their ducklings soon!

Back
Top Bottom