Abandoned fertilized eggs "peeping" in nest!

mercedgardens

Hatching
6 Years
May 21, 2013
I have two broody silkies that have hatched 9 chicks between them over the last week. Yesterday they started leaving their nest that still had 9 eggs. I candled the remaining eggs and saw that 7 are still viable. One has already started hatching--with a very strong peep too. However, the hens are NOT sitting on the nest today. Will the remaining eggs hatch if the hens only sit on them only at night? It is about 80 degrees in the coop today as the outside temp is in the mind 90's.And what about the little hatchling that is trying to be born now? Will it be OK if the mom hen just sits on it in the overnight hours or should I take other measures?
Any advise, insight would be greatly appreciated.

No the eggs need to be in an incubator, quick! The chicks may get shrink wrapped by the membrane as it dries out before they even start the pipping process (breaking the eggshell). The humidity needs to be high- and the temp of 80s isn't high enough.

My incubator uses a temp of 99.5 (Brinsea).

If there is some way you can increase humidity around the little guy as he hatches while at the same time keeping him warm- like sponges or wet washcloths under a saran wrap cover with a ventilation hole for airflow under a heat lamp (make sure there is no fire risk or melting of saran wrap risk)- that would be good. Temperatures in the 80's are too cold for him.

Honestly if you are not set up for incubating those eggs in an incubator, sometimes it is best to let nature take its course. If they left the eggs then I'd leave them too- sometimes the hens know something we don't. Of course the little one hatching can hopefully be saved by keeping him warm until you can slide him under the mama when she sets for the night.

The membrane might get stuck to him as he hatches- there are threads on how to help with getting the membrane off after hatch. I am also a believer in not assisting with hatches. So if he can't get out of his shell himself then I would do nothing.

I hope this helps. I don't have a huge amount of experience incubating but this is what I would do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom