Abnormal "Egg"

Poppy Putentake

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2015
Vermont
This morning I found a strange object in a nesting box. It was an opaque, pale yellow mass about half the size of an egg, with a texture a little like fat and a little like jello. It smelled like blood.

Could this be a discharge from a hen's egg-laying tract? If so, does it indicate any known disease or problem?

As it happens, one of my year-old hens seems to have stopped laying recently, and there is a history of this hen having laid a few shellless eggs and a few eggs with a colorless, leather-like, shell.

Poppy

This morning I found a strange object in a nesting box. It was an opaque, pale yellow mass about half the size of an egg, with a texture a little like fat and a little like jello. It smelled like blood.

Could this be a discharge from a hen's egg-laying tract? If so, does it indicate any known disease or problem?

As it happens, one of my year-old hens seems to have stopped laying recently, and there is a history of this hen having laid a few shellless eggs and a few eggs with a colorless, leather-like, shell.

Poppy

Yes, it is. It's called "lash" or a "lash egg" and it does indicate that there may be some infection/inflammation in the reproductive tract. Of course, there is no way to know how far is has progressed and if antibiotics will do any good. If she does recover, she will probably relapse anyway, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom