Abnormal size egg need answers please

pfewless

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
I have a white leghorn hen that has always been very consistant in her laying size med/large forever color white timing every day 9:07 am everything. I have changed nothing for her. Today she left me an egg that compares in size to a duck egg. What is up with that? Is this something they do sometimes? I am in my first year of hens. So I am still learning and observing everything. She does not appear to be hurt from this. yes I was concerned and checked her over. that seemed like trying to push a bowling ball through a garden hose. Sorry for the visual but I was worried now I just need answers.

I have a white leghorn hen that has always been very consistant in her laying size med/large forever color white timing every day 9:07 am everything. I have changed nothing for her. Today she left me an egg that compares in size to a duck egg. What is up with that? Is this something they do sometimes? I am in my first year of hens. So I am still learning and observing everything. She does not appear to be hurt from this. yes I was concerned and checked her over. that seemed like trying to push a bowling ball through a garden hose. Sorry for the visual but I was worried now I just need answers.

It happens sometimes, you might have a double yolk in that egg.There are occasional glitches in the egg cycle especially in younger hens. She should be fine.
smile.png

my chickens lay different egg sizes sometimes...it may have been a double yolked egg. I've never had any seem sick or hurt from it.

lol, thanks for the visual, won't be forgetting that one!
lau.gif

We've got one EE who lays jumbo eggs (single yolk - just huge) sometimes and med / large eggs the rest of the time. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. We just enjoy the adventure of Ethel's eggs.

I've had one pullet who laid, in the same week, a 112 gram egg and a 123 gram egg. But now that she's been laying for a while most of her eggs are in the large to extra large size category, with an occasional jumbo tossed in just to keep me on my toes. She's a Red Sex Link and she's the smallest out of all of the flock. Go figger! My husband looked at the big eggs and asked, "Which one laid THOSE?" I told him I had no idea - which ever one was limping, I suppose!

Well this seems to be the norm for her now. Darn near duck sized eggs that are double yolked. Thank You all for your replies. I love the support here.

Back
Top Bottom