? about hatching in cartons

Quote:
Do you like that better than the carton? I hatched on the sides last hatch (1st hatch) but i didn't know about elevating the rack. I didn't get a single chick last time so i was going to do the cartons

It's all about maintaining the same distance between the heating element and the eggs. Either way works... Craptastic, aka Deibraymond, prefers the side hatching... I get good results both ways.

elevate the rack on hatch days??? what do u guys mean??
hu.gif

I just tried the carton and also the cut paper towel rolls to hold in place. I did not like either one.
hmm.png
The chicks had such a hard time once they were out. I am back to laying them on their side.

Quote:
If you use an automatic egg turner your eggs are closer to the heating element the first 18 day. Then on lock down if you take them out of the egg turner and just lay them on thier sides they are farther away for the heat...dropping their core heat. If you use something ( and im not sure what yet) to elevate the wire rack....make it the same hieght as the egg turner then you don't loose the that core temp. hope that makes since!

Quote:
If you use an automatic egg turner your eggs are closer to the heating element the first 18 day. Then on lock down if you take them out of the egg turner and just lay them on thier sides they are farther away for the heat...dropping their core heat. If you use something ( and im not sure what yet) to elevate the wire rack....make it the same hieght as the egg turner then you don't loose the that core temp. hope that makes since!

That would only make sense for a still air...if u have a fan the bator is like a convection oven...no hot spots..

Quote:

That would only make sense for a still air...if u have a fan the bator is like a convection oven...no hot spots..

Oh thanks I forgot to mention that!

Back
Top Bottom