About my clothesline...

Quote:
ok, so dumb question alert:

Does the vinegar make your clothes smell like vinegar? I really can't stand the smell of vinegar.

I am wondering the same thing?
idunno.gif
Does anyone know?

Quote:
I have been line drying my clothes year round for about 7 years now. Never once have I gotten bird poo on them, although I did bring in a bumble bee last week.
roll.png

Quote:
ok, so dumb question alert:

Does the vinegar make your clothes smell like vinegar? I really can't stand the smell of vinegar.

I am wondering the same thing?
idunno.gif
Does anyone know?

Vinegar does NOT make your clothes smell of vinegar. It helps take soap residue off your laundry, so there won't be as much soap smell, either.

But the vinegar naturally softens the laundry, the smell evaporates ( I don't even notice it when I take it out of the washer).

i used to use vinegar in the rinse cycle all the time, as my dd and I have sensitivities to the detergent, but since i started using the home made soap, I don't even need the vinegar.

I have been line drying for years, since before it was the "in" thing to do.
cool.png

The sun does a wonderful job of keeping my whites nice and bright--even my mother wanted to know how I got my whites so bright!

Okay so duh me! (that's the opposite of go me) That's why my grandmas whites were always white!!!

I'm completely sold now...pollen and all
sad.png

Listen, I have always hung my clothes out (when feasable) since I got married because I want to and because I remember the smell of clean line-dried clothes from both of my Grandmother's houses. I made the homemade soap from the recipe on BYC but had to use more because of our hard water, but I was paying $30 a bottle for liquid Tide at Sam's. Anyway, my husband was putting the clean clothes up and said "man, my underwear looks cleaner" I said yeah it's the new detergent you saw me cooking up on the stove, he said, well keep cooking it. Now, I thought I was noticing a difference but just told myself that it was because I made it, but obviously it is making a difference if he noticed it too. Also, I have not used Downy since I made the new detergent and none of us have any open wounds from the towels yet! LOL!!!

No, I use about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup and my clothes do NOT smell like vinegar and they are soft.

Vinegar does NOT make your clothes smell of vinegar. It helps take soap residue off your laundry, so there won't be as much soap smell, either.

But the vinegar naturally softens the laundry, the smell evaporates ( I don't even notice it when I take it out of the washer).

i used to use vinegar in the rinse cycle all the time, as my dd and I have sensitivities to the detergent, but since i started using the home made soap, I don't even need the vinegar.

I have been line drying for years, since before it was the "in" thing to do. cool

My clothes are pretty soft with the home made soap, but I don't line dry...Maybe some vinegar, line dry, and then fluff in the dryer for 10 min. Better than 50-70 mins each especially if I combine the loads. And less trips; I can bring several loads in at once and fluff in the dryer. Great info!

vinegar is a wonder substance isnt it? I have heard to clean your house with vinegar and would like to, but I don't want it to smell like vinegar
sad.png

Where is the recipe for the detergent? Does it have dyes or fragrance? My youngest son gets a rash from any detergent that has dye or fragrance. I would love to be able to make my own...

Also, I have not used Downy since I made the new detergent and none of us have any open wounds from the towels yet! LOL!!!

yuckyuck.gif

HomeMade Powdered Laundry Detergent

Use ONLY 2 tsp per load! No need for fabric softner

2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
1 bar grated Fels Naptha Soap
1 cup dry color safe bleach

Mix all together in an empty pail and use just two tblsp per load. This is a real wallet saver

My husband has the same skin issues, and so to be on the safe side, I bought the clorox color safe bleach that has no dyes, frangrances. It's in a green box. My husband isn't allergic to it at all. We have been using it for about 1-2 weeks now and no rash. I may get brave and try some cheaper brands, (That one is more expensive), but this first time that I made it, I wanted to make it with the clorox brand withe the hope that it wouldn't break my husband out, thus getting him on board with the home made soap. ^_^

ETA I changed tsp to tblsp, b/c I think that I have read on here that the tbls work the best for most, but the original recipe called for 2 tsp to use in wash

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom