About my cockerels

Zoohtasim

Crowing
Jun 7, 2021
So, I have 7 three months old chickens, 3 pullets and 4 cockerels. Today I noticed, one of the cockerels was trying to mate with one of my adult hens. He couldn't of course. But it got me thinking.. Will he mate with his sisters too? Should I separate them now? Or after a while? Here is he
IMG_20210607_161910.jpg
Thats all I want to know : )

Whether there is a male with them or not has nothing to do with when they lay eggs. The only difference is whether the eggs will be fertile or not. Even if they are fertile they will not develop unless they are incubated.

What is your real concern. Are you really worried about something you should be worrying about?

Cockerels/roosters will mate with their sisters, mothers, daughters, etc. They're chickens, they don't care. Inbreeding is only an issue with birds if you start going several generations without introducing fresh blood to the gene pool.

There's inbreeding in a lot of domesticated animals, that's how you get all the different breeds of chickens - humans choosing traits and wanting to replicate them.

Back
Top Bottom