About ready to pull the trigger and buy a coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Lazy L, Dec 17, 2011.

1. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    This is what I'm looking at: youtube.com/watch?v=kS-02r47m_Y&feature=related

With the pricing add shipping...OUCH!

Local Farm supply has the exact same coop on display. I just got off the phone with the Builder.

Amish (high quality workmanship). Unpainted tongue and grove siding barn siding. No electrical (I'll add that myself).

I added two options. Fiberglass floor ($25) and a ridge vent.

He's offering 10% off till the end of the year.

$1,103. plus state sales taxes AND free delivery within 25 miles (I am). [​IMG]

Me being a Newbie what say you? Yea or Nay?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Nay! If you can't build one. You can find a carpenter to make one similar to that one for much cheaper! [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    If you can afford it, go for it. We enjoyed
    building our coop together with a friend that
    we kinda reconnected with.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Sometimes, DO-IT-YOURSELF is over-rated. If you don't have the tools, time, or ability - don't feel bad about ordering.
    We tend to often build everything ourselves simply because we have a lot of junk laying around that could be used for something.....you know how that goes. Then in the process, we accumulate a whole lot more junk that needs to be used for something! Never ending cycle. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just press that nice little "PLACE ORDER" button [​IMG]

5. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Quote:Agreed! [​IMG]

6. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    For me, the big difference is whether you have the tools. Good tools make a huge difference to how easy it is to make something. I'm am no handy person and I used to give up in despair and assume I could build nothing until I got a few basic power tools. A lot of people will tell you how cheap it is to build your own. I wonder how many of them regularly build things so have the tools and expertise to do so. If you don't have access to some good tools, you may have to factor in the cost. My advise, if you are a novice and you want a good result and can afford it, buy. I think the biggest mistake people probably make when they do that is to buy too small to save money. I know I did. You also need to look at the time involved.

My list of stuff you need to consider: Tools, time, money and expertise. Every one has a different amount of each and the balance will determine what is the best solution for you.

7. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Quote:I second this motion! Knowing how it's done and having the materials necessary are all moot if you don't have the technology to use on it. It would be kind of like using a tea spoon to empty a swimming pool....it could be done, but who would want to?!

mm

8. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Well, i didn't look at the vid.. But. My dad and I have always built our own chicken coops. Keyword of that statement is "My Dad" and I. He does most of the work and I tell him what I want. He's got the tools and has decades of experience. And honestly, it's way out of our price range to buy one or have someone build us one. But. You might consider as an alternative hiring someone (preferably someone you know who might cut you a deal) to build a chicken coop for you. That way you can have it exactly like you want. But. If you have the money to spend, spend it. [​IMG] Either way, I wish you well on your coop and chickens. DIY isn't for everybody! I have difficulty doing projects on my own. Don't have the 'know-how'.

9. jnswright

jnswright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    North Texas
    I bought one almost identical to that one in the video for just over $400 (found it on craigslist)...
    I had to do a bit of work (find some friends to help move it - along with a pickup and trailer) to get it, but worth it to save over $600...

I'd say if you have the money go for it, but realize that there are cheaper options...

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's worth it if it's worth it to YOU. It appears very well made, and has good ventilation and a good layout. ALL coop builders (commercial) exaggerate how many birds a coop will comfortably hold, so be aware of that.
    Not everyone out there has carpentry skills or (as others have pointed out) the right tools. I'm a novice builder that will TRY anything, as long as I have my nail gun, drills, table and chop saws, etc., etc., etc. If I'd had to depend on a hammer and screw driver to build my coops, I'd certainly have bought instead of built. And building materials (at least new) are expensive!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by