About to get 30 how long until they can leave the brooder?

It died and a seemingly healthy chick. The only thing I can see is watery eyes, and right before they die severe lethargic ness

I'm really sorry to hear that. Are they getting enough protein and vitamins? I found vitamins helped a lot with my really weak chicks.

Last edited:
I don't know if hatcheries refund for losses after shipping, though I could be wrong. It is likely just shipping stress. If it is a disease, however, then I would certainly talk to the hatchery about it.

I hope the others get better. Have you tried treating for coccidia?

Yes, but it was straddle legged when I got it. Just in case I put some paper over the wire.
I got 30 from an order of 30 from Strombergs. I will be calling them MondaY
Is that the brooder in the picture, with wire on the bottom? I've read on here that guineas have weaker hips and legs than chickens so you have to be careful what surface they are on until they build strength. I used puppy pads and then switched to pine shavings at one week. A bad walking surface can cause splayed legs.

Also, where did you get them from? Did they send any extras? I was sent 32 in my order of 30.

Last edited:
Both of mine that died seemed healthy as well, running around with the rest and eating and drinking normally...up until the evening before they died. Then they would turn sort of zombie like and lethargic. The rest would be snuggled down for the night and that one would just stand in the middle of the cage, almost like it was falling asleep standing up. It certainly seemed like a high fever or neurological infection of some sort. In any case, everyone else has been fine and I didn't make a claim for either since it was past the 24 hour period, which I think is the standard warranty period for chicks. Good luck! I just looked at strombergs website and considering the price you paid I would certainly want a refund!

That's what I'm gonna do, I've had back luck with their guineas in particular, but last time we had trouble they gave us $63 to spend only at Strombergs

Oh no! What sort of bad luck have you had? This is also my second try at guineas, with the last group of ten keets killed by a fox one night which was obviously my own fault. I am being extra careful this time around in all respects (food, supplements, housing, etc)

Good luck! Hopefully they make it this time!
Oh no! What sort of bad luck have you had? This is also my second try at guineas, with the last group of ten keets killed by a fox one night which was obviously my own fault. I am being extra careful this time around in all respects (food, supplements, housing, etc)

Yes, sorry to hear of your losses. What are you feeding them? Are they getting enough protein? Is the feed old or brand new?

I put both apple cider vinegar in their water, and a chunk of crushed raw garlic. I also supplemented their feed with dry granulated garlic and mealworms. The garlic and ACV are supposed to help prevent Coccidiosis and the mealworms for extra protein. I did not use medicated feed.

2 of mine died fairly early on, but I think it was due to me not knowing what to do. (This is my first time raising poultry.) They seemed lethargic and slower for a few days and I didn't really do anything else to help them along. 2 others fell what I thought was ill, but I think was a mineral deficiency. They had a hard time walking and eventually stopped completely. But they were alert and still wanted to run with the rest of the flock. At this point I started adding vitamin supplements to the water, and still no change. Red Cell was the only thing that worked to bounce them back, they were standing and walking again within 24 hours. So, now I give it to them once a week or so to make sure they aren't missing any vital nutrients.

Mine are older now and all seem fine except for 1 which we think sprained or broke his toe getting stuck behind the coop. We put a splint on it this weekend, and hoping it heals up quickly. He still wants to run around with his buddies and still roosts with them at night.

Back
Top Bottom