About to get some chicks....

Please be sure you use play sand ONLY! If it is not labeled play sand , return it.
edited to add... you can get play sand at Lowes Home Improvement. It has play sand right on the front label.

Last edited:
I got my play sand from Walmart, but hardware stores sell it too! It's a bit harder to find this time of year. It's a spring/summer product for kid's sandboxes, so it's a good idea to stock up on it over the summer so you don't run out over the winter. The bags I found were severely waterlogged and took forever to dry out since they sat through several snow storms, lol.

Do those of you who use sand in your brooder use it in your run too and do you find there is less food waste?

Do those of you who use sand in your brooder use it in your run too and do you find there is less food waste?
well the sand should be available or some type of grit all the time. The food waste is just how the feeders are set up I left mine on the floor and they emptied it in a day now it hangs about six inches off the ground for the adult birds. They like to scratch at every thing. I use sand in the brooder along with grass hay this year. As far as a coop goes a dirt floor or free range or they sell sand or grits. If that helps.

Yes, I agree with justinmcclerkin - the food waste is determined by the type of feeder you use. If they can get into it and scratch, they will. If they scratch they will throw it everywhere. Also sometimes they will throw it out with their bill when they are eating. The feeder should be about back height for adult chickens. If you have chicks you'll need to make it adjustable so you can raise it as they grow until they reach maturity. Some feeders are just better than others. My suggestion, if you haven't gotten yours yet, talk to some people who have different types of feeders and ask about the waste. I have a PVC feeder that I made after reading others posts. It was pretty easy but I don't know how well it will reduce waste yet because my chicks are still in the brooder and using a hanging feeder. Here's a pic of the PVC feeder.

Hi, I may be using the wrong thread to ask these questions but as a newbie with spotty Internet service and being busy preparing for my first chicks in eight years, I still am not great at navigating here for finding information. I guess I just need pointed in the right direction. My chicks are all doing well so far , different groups, my standard chicks are 4-6 days old and I just got tiny bantam chicks yesterday . A question I have is about bedding. There was a post on using sand and until I can get some I was wondering if white chert rock would be alright.? Also any homemade chick recipes that are really heathy? Maybe boost up my smallest Bantam. She's not been the strongest so I'm taking extra care with her. And I was wondering about using regular top soil as a bedding or just making them a small box to scratch around in. Also handling. They love it but not sure if it's to soon or how much with the bantams. Again sorry if I made a newbie mistake posting in the wrong place but they said it right," this site is like Disneyland " and with my home computer being down I am limited to my phone which is not always cooperative. Thanks

Hi, I may be using the wrong thread to ask these questions but as a newbie with spotty Internet service and being busy preparing for my first chicks in eight years, I still am not great at navigating here for finding information. I guess I just need pointed in the right direction. My chicks are all doing well so far , different groups, my standard chicks are 4-6 days old and I just got tiny bantam chicks yesterday . A question I have is about bedding. There was a post on using sand and until I can get some I was wondering if white chert rock would be alright.? Also any homemade chick recipes that are really heathy? Maybe boost up my smallest Bantam. She's not been the strongest so I'm taking extra care with her. And I was wondering about using regular top soil as a bedding or just making them a small box to scratch around in. Also handling. They love it but not sure if it's to soon or how much with the bantams. Again sorry if I made a newbie mistake posting in the wrong place but they said it right," this site is like Disneyland " and with my home computer being down I am limited to my phone which is not always cooperative. Thanks

Its fine dont worry about it. Sometimes phone posts seem to double for some reason. You may want to get some "save a chick" from tractor supply or some other kind of chick booster. Do you have them on medicated chick feed? If not they need to be ASAP. I would hold treats and other diets. Their chick feed is what they need to grow properly. I use straw as bedding, some use wood chips. I wouldnt really worry about any dirt or anything right now they have alot of growing and sleeping to do. When they get older you can take them outside into a pen and watch them dust and run around. You can handle them just keep it short and pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom