About to hatch -what do I do?

luv2cris

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 22, 2016
So I have six eggs, and 6 days left til hatching time ( I think ). I have 12 chickens and a rooster. My son wanted to learn about where chickens come from so we bought an incubator and here I am.

Day 18 seems to be an important - do not turn anymore period. So I'm good with that. But... my question is, should I get a separate chicken coop for the babies when they get older? next to my original chickens? Should I grab the broody hen and give her the eggs to let her hatch them? Can I keep her with the chicks while hatching maybe she'll adopt them? Should I forget about my broody hen altogether and just start another chicken group? My husband is going to have a conniption if I start building another coop and fenced area. (I cant have them run wild, my dog wants to eat them - he's a hunting dog) ;) Any advice is greatly appreciated. I mean, who knows... I might not even have any hatch! They are brown eggs so it was hard to see through, but I see an air pocket... and the rest seems solid. (hoping for the best!)

I just saw this and you posted it twelve days ago. Sorry I never saw it whe n you first posted it, how did your hatch go?

Hi, well, out of the 4 eggs I tried hatching, only one came out. It's name is Ninja. I felt bad for him/her so I found a farm nearby and I bought a little black chick to keep him/her company. So far they are getting along, although Ninja kept trying to pick the other one's eyes the first hour. I've got 2 more eggs that were at day 21 yesterday. Still hoping. They arent as heavy as the one that hatched, in comparison - the only thing I can go on. I will wait another 5 days. I've tried to increase humidity. Here is a pic of them.

Hi, well, out of the 4 eggs I tried hatching, only one came out. It's name is Ninja. I felt bad for him/her so I found a farm nearby and I bought a little black chick to keep him/her company. So far they are getting along, although Ninja kept trying to pick the other one's eyes the first hour. I've got 2 more eggs that were at day 21 yesterday. Still hoping. They arent as heavy as the one that hatched, in comparison - the only thing I can go on. I will wait another 5 days. I've tried to increase humidity. Here is a pic of them.
Oh my gosh, Ninja is so adorable! I'm sorry on the hatch, but I think you did good for your first hatch. I mean incubating is a really hard thing, I have had two batches with 10 eggs and only got two chicks, and those weren't even my first hatches. Your first hatch is especially hard because you have to figure out your incubator and figure out what works and what doesn't. At this point I have tried hatching 6 times, the very first time I set two eggs that had already been in the fridge for two weeks, stupid I know, but I had just suddenly lost my favorite hen and those were the only eggs I had from her and they both were actually infertile from being in the fridge so long. Second hatch out of 8 shipped eggs I got 4, 3rd and 4th I got two eggs out of ten and three eggs out of eleven, then both times I did something wrong, and I figured out my incubator better each time then the 4th hatch we hatched our own hens eggs and got 9/10 and then hatched a neighbors and got 11/12 to hatch. So you gotta have a little trial and error. Your babies are absolutely precious, good job on your first hatch! If you want some tips and stuff you can try going on some of the Hatch a long or incubating threads here, I love those threads and the people are so nice and helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks! I am done hatching for now. My next adventure will be raising them, (in my living room)and then introducing them to my existing flock. I will def check out the other threads. So glad you answered me! (at least someone was listening. ) hahaha

Cris

Thanks!  I am done hatching for now.  My next adventure will be raising them, (in my living room)and then introducing them to my existing flock.  I will def check out the other threads.  So glad you answered me! (at least someone was listening. )  hahaha

Cris

To me that's the best part, aside from watching them hatch. Good luck with those cuties! BTW I love the name Ninja, did you name him that because of his ninja-like moves when he hatched from the egg? I was wondering because we always say when our chicks first come out and are kicking around that they are little ninjas.
1f604.png
Yeah I wish I found your thread sooner. But I am glad I ended up finding it eventually. I think that eventually your babies will be able to be integrated into your flock when they are big enough, I have integrated several times and all have ended up being successful. You just need to take it slow and steady. There are great threads here on BYC that have bunches of information on integrating, you should check some of them out.

Last edited:
Sort of, my 5 year old brings the chick into his room and it chases him around with its little wings flapping and he says it looks like a ninja attacking.
yippiechickie.gif

Oh yeah, I never asked you how your other hatch went! How did it go?!

Back
Top Bottom