about to start new coop for extra room in the winter

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
hey guys...im going to build something in the 8x10 range this weekend to provide the birds with another 80sf of floor space and HEAPS of roost space for the winter...had thought about adding onto the existing coop but i think this is a better idea...if anyone has any suggestions after the many coops we have seen here as to the easiest to build and the lowest cost whilst not looking HEINOUSLY ugly..please let me know.

You know we just added the additonal 8x10 coop a couple months back right onto the other coop with a fence in between (hubby just cut the original outer wall out except for the support beams). After awhile though, we integrated without incident and ended up taking down the fencing. We now have a 8x20 coop, and hubby built some additional roosts that criss cross each other with support beams of the same diameter to give extra strength and support. I will try to get some pictures of those for you today. We still have our standard ladder looking roosts that lean up against a couple of walls inside as well as outside the coops. We can now house 51 chickens (from 1 1/2 months old to well over a year old) during the night without any fighting or squabbling. They all free range during the day, but there are two enclosed runs also available, if they ever felt like they need the security from aerial attacks. Just an idea anyway.

thanks alot for that i would love to see some pics..im planning on getting into this project this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom