About when do chickens stop peeping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Seaecho, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    My 8 and 10 week old chickens are still peeping. At what age do they usually stop doing that, and sounding like adults?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It varies a bit, but their voices generally have all changed at about fourteen weeks for me (Though I've never really thought about it and recorded my findings or anything.) They're still a little hoarse-sounding for a while after that, though.

3. I wish my roo would be "hoarse-sounding"!

Seaecho, AUTZ and sylviethecochin like this.
  4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    About 14-18 weeks depends on the breeds and some mature early some later. You’ll hear melodic singing before you know it or crowing sooner or later.:pop

5. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, I've noticed their voices start to change around four months, give or take. They sound more like ducks at this stage. Quacking? I didn't think I had any ducks!

6. every morning i go out to the coop, all the hens sound like a baby nursery at any hospital! whining, crying, low rumbles, an occasional purrr. then they get fed and......silence!bok bok bok

Seaecho likes this.
  7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I start hearing the occasional cluck around 10 - 12 weeks. They spend about a month going through the voice change.

Seaecho likes this.
  8. my flock makes the most beautiful egg song I ever heard, except for beetov-hen who stays silent when laying her egg.

Seaecho likes this.
  9. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    I've heard the melodic singing a few times, and a purr now and then, so I guess they're on their way. Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: