Abscessed Tooth

The mouth is probably one of the worst places in the body to have an infection. It must be treated and fast. If you are already seeing facial swelling you have to go to the ER. Do not talk about it, do not wait, do not waste time asking other people what they think. Just go!

That sounds bad. Your dentist will get you right in if you call now. Until you can get there, it helps to take a little table salt and a little baking soda (equal amounts) and mix them together. Then just barely wet a piece of a cotton ball (not a whole one) and dip it in the salt mixture. Tuck that up in your gum, right over the affected tooth (you should be able to see/feel a blister-like spot called a "gum boil", that is where the infection is erupting.) This simple poultice will help draw out some of the infection and will ease the pain until you can get to your dentist. Keep it in there at least an hour. I just had an abcessed tooth last spring and had to have a root canal. The root canal was not so bad, but the abcessed tooth was NO fun!
sad.png

Run don't walk to the ER.
Get on an antibiotic it will take a few days to get in you and your face will not go down right away. The dentist can't do anything till you take care of the infection.
Hope you feel better soon. My sister said to ask for a shot at the ER it works quicker.
Good Luck

ok a month ago I had an abscessed tooth and while painful I thought I would wait until monday to get to the dentist. I woke up the next morning sweating, with a high fever, dizzy and half my face really swollen, had a huge headache and I ended up in the hospital. turns out the infection entered my blood stream. they ended up giving me some sort of shot into my arm to reduce the pain. then they had to put me on heavy antibiotics...I felt like I had the flu for several days without the vomiting. and the pain truly sucked.

trust me when I say this..if your face is already swollen and you are in pain, you better go get yourself some antibiotics ASAP and they have to be antibiotics for dental abscesses not regular antibiotics because while it will relieve the pain and the swelling the infection will come back. Go to the Er or a clinic or somewhere now.

I have to agree with all the comments here the ER would be the best place as they can prescribe drugs which will reduce the infection and swelling - another thing you could use to relieve the pain is Clove Oil - which is placed on cotton wool and this is placed on the infected tooth.

Regards
Dr Rob.

The infection can go to your heart also. That happened to my dad and he had to have a heart valve replaced. His wasn't from an abscess, but from just getting his teeth cleaned and infection entering the bloodstream. Get to the ER NOW!!!

Clove works well and also diluted Oregano oil works really well on tooth aches/infections.

Last edited:
ER or family doctor + antibiotics. The dentist will not do anything until the infection is controlled. Get on antibiotics and the PAIN will start to subside within 12 to 24 hours. I have survived several abscessed teeth.
hugs.gif

I just called the dental office back to see if they want to reschedule if I go to the ER, they were already talking about putting me on antibiotics. She said she will talk to the dentist and call me right back. Either way, I promise I will be seen by somebody today. In the meantime, maybe I should write instructions for the family on how to take care of the critters in case I keel over?

Quote:
Frosty? Is this you my friend? Sorry to hear about your abcess. An abcess tooth is nothing to play around with. You could get REALLY sick. Can you go to the ER?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom