Absolute Newbie

clandavis

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2018
Ventura County, Ca
We are a potential/probable new family to raising chickens in Ventura County, CA! Currently we are looking into the ins-and-outs, care and maintenance, chores, breeds, coop designs, etc involved with the hobby. I would love insights on raising chickens in coastal Southern California. As far as breeds, my current priorities would be docile, easy to maintain and a colorful egg selections. Where is the most common place to get chickens, especially specific breeds?

We have a newborn and rambunctious 5yr old grandsons and a 16yr old (who really wants nothing to do with this hobby). We also have a 13yr chihuahua and a 6yr Garfield-like cat. Other distractions are Scouting, youth and High School baseball and travelling to visit family in Northern California.

I found this community while doing my research on starting up this hobby when my grandson wanted to look into 4H. I joined when I saw post from a member in my town and wanted to reach out to get input on raising chickens in my neck of the woods.

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Welcome to Backyard Chickens~! We're glade to have you :)

If you aren't too focused on show-quality birds then I would suggest looking into getting chickens from local hatcheries. They normally have a wide variety of chickens and are more focused towards breeding profitable layers/broilers than show-quality birds.

Ducksandchickens

Free Ranging
Apr 24, 2018
North Western Ohio
Hello @clandavis glad you’re here!
E6FE8A2B-404B-4C4B-B22F-B99310B53F23.gif
nobody is at the bottom of the pecking order here! :celebrate:woot

Top Bottom