Absolute Newbie

clandavis

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2018
Ventura County, Ca
We are a potential/probable new family to raising chickens in Ventura County, CA! Currently we are looking into the ins-and-outs, care and maintenance, chores, breeds, coop designs, etc involved with the hobby. I would love insights on raising chickens in coastal Southern California. As far as breeds, my current priorities would be docile, easy to maintain and a colorful egg selections. Where is the most common place to get chickens, especially specific breeds?

We have a newborn and rambunctious 5yr old grandsons and a 16yr old (who really wants nothing to do with this hobby). We also have a 13yr chihuahua and a 6yr Garfield-like cat. Other distractions are Scouting, youth and High School baseball and travelling to visit family in Northern California.

I found this community while doing my research on starting up this hobby when my grandson wanted to look into 4H. I joined when I saw post from a member in my town and wanted to reach out to get input on raising chickens in my neck of the woods.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens~! We're glade to have you :)

If you aren't too focused on show-quality birds then I would suggest looking into getting chickens from local hatcheries. They normally have a wide variety of chickens and are more focused towards breeding profitable layers/broilers than show-quality birds.

Hello @clandavis glad you’re here!
E6FE8A2B-404B-4C4B-B22F-B99310B53F23.gif
nobody is at the bottom of the pecking order here! :celebrate:woot

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Check out the breed pages. I would second the recommendation to purchase day old chicks from a hatchery. I wanted a very colorful flock, colorful eggs, cold tolerant, friendly chickens. I purchased 8 different breeds from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom