Accent Test

AquaEyes

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Buffalo (but from Long Island)
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought this would be a fun thing for here, considering how our members are from all over. Try taking this accent test , and post your results. Mine was "northeastern" which isn't much of a shock.

Which American accent do you have?

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Last edited:
I'm going to try it, but I'll bet I'll get nailed with whatever they have for Great Lakes/Midwestern. At least I'm not yooper sounding...well, not too yooper. Just a little bit.

North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.
BULLSEYE

Says I have a western accent which is kind of crazy since I've only lived as far west as Colorado and then only for a few years.

I have two sets of speech. In a professional setting I can lose my accent completely. In a casual setting with family and/or friends my southern shows. It's not an IRON, it's an arn. It's not a FIRE, it's a far. I switch back and forth easily and have been told by educational experts that I am very articulate.

Neutral

You're not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

This surprises me actually. I'm like Gritty, I can lose my accent almost entirely if needed, but I sometimes relax too much around certain family or friends and catch myself sounding VERY SOUTHERN.

Last edited:
i need to retake the test -- I DID NOT like my results.
barnie.gif

Western. I'm a Canadian raised on the east coast and now live in MN but I did live in Alberta for 17 years so I guess that's where I got it. To erase it I have to learn to say stalk and stock differently from each other.

I got Northestern, and I'm not even American!
lau.gif

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Back
Top Bottom