Accepting what might be and pushing forward.....need advice on multiple concerns.

Pics
By the time I got home tonight (6:45), it was dark out, and my hubby had everyone locked up for the evening. He had helped Alice onto her perch, and I peeked in on her. As I thought, she is still open-mouthed breathing. My question is, do I give her another amoxicillin this late in the evening? I'm guessing the medication overrides the stress that I might create by going in and disturbing everyone. Also, I am assuming she gets one capsule twice a day by what I've read on here, except I came across a couple of posts that said a "250 mg capsule each day.... "

You can double up on the 250mg dose initially to get the antibiotic flooding the bacteria in her system. Then reduce to 250mg per day the next day for ten days total.

It's more important to get her system flooded with the antibiotic than it is to worry about the chickens stressing after they've roosted. They'll get over it. The sick one should show definite signs of improvement by morning.

@Chopper923 , I had suggested the idea of starting a new thread just for Alice because this thread is now so long I was concerned Alice's specific issues might be overlooked. But you are getting good advice to help her on this thread, so all is well. If you ever decide to create a new medical thread for any of your flock members, do tag all those who you want to respond, so they will see your thread.

As far as being concerned about disturbing chickens on the roost at night, a headlamp that shines with red light will not disturb the flock, but us humans can see just fine to perform tasks such as medicating, deworming, etc. With white light, my hens always decided it was a great time to jump of their roosts and eat whenever i entered the coop. Can't tell you how many times I ended up hanging the white light headlamp in the coop and leaving it behind, because I didn't want to wait for everyone to fill their crop, nor leave them on the ground in the dark. Most headlamps that include red light also shine white, but you can buy red only if you prefer. Google "headlamp shine red light" and you will see tons of options, and the ones that use aaa batteries are cheap.

That is a great idea, @Allsfairinloveandbugs ! I bet my hubby has one of those headlamps with a red light option. If not, I will get one ordered. 👍 I was also worried about giving her a capsule without her having access to food or water until morning. I understand your thoughts on starting a new thread the next time... And tagging people. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a pain in the butt, tho. Always asking for help, but never being able to give support to others. I know that will come with me gaining experience, but still...

Alice is not panting this morning. 😊 I helped her off of her perch this morning, and she drank some water. (Another question: I worry about setting her on the perch at night due to it being about 4 feet off the ground. She seems to have good balance, but since she doesn't have her normal strength, I worry about her falling at night. Should I just make a spot for her near the ground?) Her feet are still very warm to the touch. I will put her feet in some cool water to see if that helps. Or do I leave it alone since she is not panting?

I checked the status of the Aqua-mox. Shipped this morning, and it is labeled 2-day shipping. So, I still won't get it until Thursday. This shipping thing bothers me, and I just reread their info. They received the order right away Monday morning (I placed it Saturday), and according to their site, they should've shipped it yesterday. Just wanted to vent about that. I have enough amoxicillin to make it until then at least. (It is FIVE years old! 😖)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003_071335_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003_071335_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 4
Good morning. I am sorry that I haven't updated sooner... I had multiple things to tackle this past week, and I finally feel like I can sit. And breathe. Lol.

Alice passed away on Friday. As much as that saddens me, today I am thankful that I was able to be with her when it happened, and I am glad she is no longer suffering.

Unfortunately, I was only able to give her one capsule of the Aqua-mox. I had received a message from FedEx that the antibiotic would be delivered a day early (Wednesday), so I held off giving her the expired amoxicillin. FedEx usually arrives early afternoon, and that is what the tracking indicated. So I waited. And waited. And waited.... All the while checking for updates to see if something changed. At 8 pm, I went out and gave Alice a dose of the old antibiotic, knowing that FedEx would NOT be delivering that day. It came on Thursday, and with much relief, I started her on the correct medication. She had seemed to be holding steady... I didn't see any signs of declining, and at times, I felt a tinge of hope while watching her actions. Friday morning, she wanted nothing to do with food or water, and I knew at that point, she wasn't up for the fight any longer. 😥 I am trying not to feel guilty about not getting her the antibiotics earlier on Wednesday... Plus that was the first day that she only got one dose. (I was giving two yet because of how old the prescription was.)

I also have another pullet who has become lame this past week.....

I think I should be done with this thread now. I actually have concerns with 2 of my adult hens who have the ugliest feet...their feet have been like this since the day we got them, and I thought it was their breed. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I am afraid (from what I have seen on researching here) that they have scaley mite 😫, but the rest of the flock's feet look good. I will start a new thread with pictures.

Thank you all again for supporting and helping me through this challenge.

Xoxox 💕

Good morning. I am sorry that I haven't updated sooner... I had multiple things to tackle this past week, and I finally feel like I can sit. And breathe. Lol.

Alice passed away on Friday. As much as that saddens me, today I am thankful that I was able to be with her when it happened, and I am glad she is no longer suffering.

Unfortunately, I was only able to give her one capsule of the Aqua-mox. I had received a message from FedEx that the antibiotic would be delivered a day early (Wednesday), so I held off giving her the expired amoxicillin. FedEx usually arrives early afternoon, and that is what the tracking indicated. So I waited. And waited. And waited.... All the while checking for updates to see if something changed. At 8 pm, I went out and gave Alice a dose of the old antibiotic, knowing that FedEx would NOT be delivering that day. It came on Thursday, and with much relief, I started her on the correct medication. She had seemed to be holding steady... I didn't see any signs of declining, and at times, I felt a tinge of hope while watching her actions. Friday morning, she wanted nothing to do with food or water, and I knew at that point, she wasn't up for the fight any longer. 😥 I am trying not to feel guilty about not getting her the antibiotics earlier on Wednesday... Plus that was the first day that she only got one dose. (I was giving two yet because of how old the prescription was.)

I also have another pullet who has become lame this past week.....

I think I should be done with this thread now. I actually have concerns with 2 of my adult hens who have the ugliest feet...their feet have been like this since the day we got them, and I thought it was their breed. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I am afraid (from what I have seen on researching here) that they have scaley mite 😫, but the rest of the flock's feet look good. I will start a new thread with pictures.

Thank you all again for supporting and helping me through this challenge.

Xoxox 💕
So sorry about Alice.

Do tag me on any new thread you start. Scaly mite is usually pretty simple to treat.

So sorry about Alice.

Do tag me on any new thread you start. Scaly mite is usually pretty simple to treat.
Awww, thank you, @TropicalChickies ! I didn't start a new post since I read some good articles here, but any tips are welcomed! I did start both girls with soaking their feet in vegetable oil as high as I could without getting feathers. I will do this every other day for two weeks, along with major cleaning of their roosts. I know that I am to treat the whole flock. 😖 I do have some ivermectin, which I will research more - I thought that I had read that I can use that along with the oil.

Back
Top Bottom