access to water question

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
A friend told me tonight that our ducks will need access to at least 3" of water at all times. But i had read that they're fine with a waterer and a pool is optional. Which is correct?

We planned to have a waterer at all times, and a small pool most days in warm weather. In winter i thought we'd get a heated waterer.

I've used just waterers most of the time and have had no issues.

We use a 5 gallon heated horse bucket for winter works great. I also have one of those rubber round tubs (can find them at tractor supply for like 25 bucks) that I fill up for them to bath through out the winter I only fill it every other day and I have to make sure to dump it right away when they are done otherwise its just a big frozen tub!

For summer they have fresh water in there coops daily with food and we have 2 small ponds they have access to everyday.

Ducks don't need bathing water 24/7 however they do need it every few days because there oil glands can get clogged plus they look terrible without it! I personally think if your getting ducks you should want to allow them to be able to have swimming daily as much as you possible can.

Ducks need deep enough wateres at all times to dip there entire head in that is a MUST or they can actually die.

Ducks love to have a swimming pool, but it isn't absolutely necessary 24/7. They do have to be able to submerge their bills as others have already mentioned.

It's so wet from the rain here in Western WA that I only give my ducks their wading pool during the summer. Otherwise, my yard just becomes a big, muddy mess. There's no way the rain saturated ground could handle me dumping all that extra water every other day or so.

I do keep a shallow feed pan (meant for horses) and a two gallon bucket filled with water in their pen at all times. I feed them Mazuri Waterfowl floating pellets (they refuse to eat anything else), so they are combination feed/water buckets.

So just a regular poultry waterer is NOT enough for them to dip their bills, if i am understnading this correctly? We'll figure something out for them to splash in. Do i even need a waterer then, i mean will it actually get used by them?

If you mean like this?

No, that won't be enough... i have a small, plastic version when i first start ducklings that i use but they quickly outgrow it, needing a deeper water container.

I have a heated bucket for winter and i use the heavy rubber livestock tubs outside.

Last edited:
I love my heavy livestock tub in the winter.
Each morning I go out and dump the thing upside down breaking the ice in side.
Just enough for them to sit in.
In the summer I use a kiddy pool and empty it with a cheap syphone every three days.

I love my heavy livestock tub in the winter.
Each morning I go out and dump the thing upside down breaking the ice in side.
Just enough for them to sit in.
In the summer I use a kiddy pool and empty it with a cheap syphone every three days.

Rosepath I would love to know more about the syphon you have. I have been trying to find one in the hardware stores for years, where did you get yours?
It's kinda hard on me to bail out a swimming pool and the area around the pool gets too soaked that way, so I have been using a two hose method to get water suction going into a hose, but that's a bit of a hassle. A syphon seems like the perfect lazy person's answer. Can you connect yours to a hose so the water can be drained into a garden or where ever?

Back
Top Bottom