accidentally forgot to close coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tabbyangoracat, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Tabbyangoracat

Tabbyangoracat New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    This is the first time I have forgotten to close chicken coop at night. I went to let my two hens out. There was no sign of foul play, no scattered feather. I looked everywhere.
    Has anyone ever done this? If a predator killed them, wouldn't there be at least one feather somewhere.

2. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    Look around further. A fox will take the chicken, usually pluck it elsewhere before taking it away. Sorry for your loss :(

3. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, you could have had a predator take them somewhere else like Coralietg said but are you sure that they aren't just out somewhere free ranging and that they just left before you got there?

4. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

They could be hiding somewhere or perched up somewhere or, as chicklover said, wandering about, doing their "thing".

5. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Yep. Unfortunately been there, done that. Sometimes I have found signs of them, sometimes not. It's a horrible feeling. I'm very sorry for your loss.

6. Tabbyangoracat

Tabbyangoracat New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    Thank you everyone for your help. I have good news. This afternoon I found both hens-safe and sound!

7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    awesome good for you I had a roo that jumped the fence and the next morning was back at home, they probably just went exploring.

1 person likes this.
  8. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Woohoo! A happy ending. So glad they hadn't been taken.

1 person likes this.
  9. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Yay!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by