Accidentally Pulled Out Yolk With Umbilical Cord - What now?

BackyardDove

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Central Texas
So far, out of 22 that I confirmed were growing in my incubator, an amazing 16 have hatched! BUT, this 16th chick that hatched had something weird going on with it. For most of the chicks, I've been taking out the chicks from the incubator as soon as they hatch out, so I generally have to take off that shriveled up waste material from their butt(the remaining piece of yolk maybe). Which isn't that hard, since it comes right off. However, with the 16th chick, when I took off that stuff from his butt, this long, bloody, yellow string of stuff came out of his butt. It was a lot for such a tiny chick. It wasn't his intestines, it wasn't the right color for that and it easily came apart, like a yolk. And he didn't seem to mind me taking it out. Eventually the string of stuff came to an end, and he seems just fine. I took a picture of the string of stuff that came out, after I placed it on a paper towel(there was so much of it that the blood was starting to drip off my hands, so I had to get a paper towel before I finished taking it out of him).

Now since he's acting fine and seems to be okay, I'm not worried he's going to die, but what on earth is this stuff? He was the only one out of the 16 chicks that've hatched that had this and I've never experienced this with any of my other chicks.

EDIT: I've since realized that the area I pulled this stuff from was NOT his butt, but his naval. I had no idea since generally I leave the chicks in the incubator long enough for the umbilical cord to shrivel up and detach on its own, but since I had quite a full bator this time, I didn't want them messing up the positions of the other eggs. Is this chick going to be okay now that he's essentially got no food left in him?

Last edited:
I could really use some help with this soon!
sad.png

So far, out of 22 that I confirmed were growing in my incubator, an amazing 16 have hatched! BUT, this 16th chick that hatched had something weird going on with it. For most of the chicks, I've been taking out the chicks from the incubator as soon as they hatch out, so I generally have to take off that shriveled up waste material from their butt(the remaining piece of yolk maybe). Which isn't that hard, since it comes right off. However, with the 16th chick, when I took off that stuff from his butt, this long, bloody, yellow string of stuff came out of his butt. It was a lot for such a tiny chick. It wasn't his intestines, it wasn't the right color for that and it easily came apart, like a yolk. And he didn't seem to mind me taking it out. Eventually the string of stuff came to an end, and he seems just fine. I took a picture of the string of stuff that came out, after I placed it on a paper towel(there was so much of it that the blood was starting to drip off my hands, so I had to get a paper towel before I finished taking it out of him).

Now since he's acting fine and seems to be okay, I'm not worried he's going to die, but what on earth is this stuff? He was the only one out of the 16 chicks that've hatched that had this and I've never experienced this with any of my other chicks.

EDIT: I've since realized that the area I pulled this stuff from was NOT his butt, but his naval. I had no idea since generally I leave the chicks in the incubator long enough for the umbilical cord to shrivel up and detach on its own, but since I had quite a full bator this time, I didn't want them messing up the positions of the other eggs. Is this chick going to be okay now that he's essentially got no food left in him?
If he's acting normal and perky, he'll be fine. You'd be surprised at how much yoke gets absorbed into their little bodies. He had plenty I'm sure.

Last edited:
If he's acting normal and perky, he'll be fine. You'd be surprised at how much yoke gets absorbed into their little bodies. He had plenty I'm sure.

Well, he's acting normal for his age. He's not perky as is he's not running around, he's still resting and such, but he wakes up and immediately lifts his head. Thank you, I was just worried since it was so much for such a little guy!

Back
Top Bottom