Accidents can be prevented!!!!!!!! please read update rules page 3

Yep, accidents are usually our fault with power tools. For many years we had a woodworking business and both my dad and mom lost the ends of at least one finger. I was also a freak about safety because I'm a musician and I can't play my instruments without all my fingers so I made sure they were as safe as possible. I still have all the woodworking equipment, I need to let it go, but I keep telling myself I might use it someday,, but I know I won't. I agree with Omran, we can avoid most of them. I'm glad to hear you are recuperating well.

Thank you guys for reading, and Thanks GOD without end for everything he gave me, Yes I am recovering, and with God Will I am going to use my tools again, but I am going to do it by the book next time
lol.png

Omran

Thanks for the warning, and hope your recovery is swift and uneventful.

I'm way too frightened of maiming myself to use power tools other than an electric drill/screwdriver. I figure out what cuts I need and get Lowes or Home Depot to make them when I buy my lumber there.

At home, if I need to make some small adjustments, I just use a hand saw.

Here are some rules for safty:

1- read and understand the owner manual of your tools.

2- put your safty gogols on before work starts.

3- make sure that the area you working in is clear of all objects on ground, like junk and other things whitch can make your movement hard.

4- make sure you are fit and NOT tired when you attend to work.

5- make sure that you have enough light.

6- make sure that your Family and friend who might vist you to the work area are notofide and not get you by a surprise.

7- make sure that all electrical cords are working right and can not be shorted.

8- get a sawhorse whitch made out of wood, that way you can fasten lumber to it when you need to make a split cut or a small cut.

9- when you are using a circular saw or a sawzaw make sure that both of you hand are actually on the tool and not on the lumber.

10- Nail guns are real useful but can be very dangerouse, so if your nail gun has the safty lever not working, please fix it before attending of using it.

11- make sure that your hands are away from the other side of the board when you shoot with the nail gun.

12- miter boxes, please make sure that the safty guard on the tool is working and that the tool is fastened on a good bench before using it.

13- table saw: make sure that you do not lay your hand on any table saw or any big piece of tools like when you are having a conversation and using it as a chair to lean your self on it, you know what I mean though.

14- after finsh using a power tool make sure you unplug it.

15- Very Very Important, if you have little kids, please don't let them around your power tools period.

I will try to add more when I remember, and please feel free to add to this thread.

Thank you.

Omran.

Last edited:
I'd like to add to that list:

Never get complacent and stop paying attention. Most of the guys I know
who are missing fingers, have burn scars, or damaged hearts from electrocution
are all very experienced guys who should have known better.

Don (Osha and ISO certified technician who still makes plenty of mistakes and has been LUCKY)

Last edited:
Here's a tip for those who don't like circular saws--try a chopsaw! (mitersaw). I think they are a godsend for those of us not powertool inclined. I can make a perfect cut, right where I want it, and it feels much "safer" and more controllable to me. Of course it won't handle plywood. The weird thing is--I use a diamond blade on a worm drive saw all the time to cut stone at work, and have no fear of it, but don't like circular saws with wood cutting blades. The thing that really freaks me out is a chainsaw--can't even hardly watch tree guys work.

Glad you are healing well. I too had an accident just over 2 weeks ago with a nail gun. DH was using the nailgun and shooting straight down while I was holding two pieces of wood together from the side. Well, the nail either hit another nail or a knot and instead of going straight down it went out the side and through my finger fracturing my finger. I didn't even realize my finger could have been in the way and DH was distracted and forgot to remind me to move my hands out of the way. At least it's been a conversation starter as it's my middle finger that I've been waving around with a splint on it! BTW we haven't taken the nailgun back out since and have stuck with hammer and nails instead.

Omran,

Best wishes for your speedy recovery and thanks so much for taking the time to make the safety list. I'm going to print it out & try to use it before working like a pilot does before flying.

My DH feels so comfortable with power tools that he doesn't take all precautions. I'm a huge believer in safety goggles & gloves - I like ALL my fingers. Your list is going under his pillow tonight - maybe he'll get the hint.

Again - thanks for thinking about the rest of us & heal quickly:thumbsup

Thumbsupsmiley.gif

Glad you doing alright.

Just about lost my thumb in H.S. woodshop, on a table saw that kickbacked the wood. Hit the side of the blade with the side of thumb.

My grandfather was lucky at the place he worked at, he was the only person that worked in the shop that was able to count up to 10 with his fingers. He came close to cutting 1 off, he was missing fingertip on left index.

Back
Top Bottom