Acclimating Baby Chicks (6 weeks Old) From Indoors to 100+ Texas Heat

hmmleider

In the Brooder
May 26, 2024
We have baby chicks that will be around the 6 week mark when we start looking at moving them to the coop. They are currently in my Photography Studio with the AC vents closed and the outside windows open to start getting the temperature up. It is averaging around 80 degrees but outside it is around 112 with the heat index. A couple weeks ago we took them for a field trip to the coop while we were cleaning out the grow out pen in the studio. They were MISERABLE! Feathers spread out, panting, clacking their beaks, and there was one that could hardly lift her head. I started rushing them back inside for it was clear they were in duress. This was when we started keeping the windows open to start raising the temperature but clearly it is not getting as hot as it is out there. Unfortunately the coop did get set up in direct sunlight. There are trees around but certain times of day there is no shade (except where they will be laying eggs). We are looking at various shade options but how do I get them accustom to these high temperatures?

put a large pan of water in their area for them to wade in .. put it in a place its easy to spray out and replenish couple times a day ..

Back
Top Bottom