Acclimating to winter with young ducks

EMMHT

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2020
I have 4 runner ducks that are about 3 months old. We have been letting them outside during the day and then bring them inside (our house) at night while we finish their house, which will be done today. We live in Maine and now have snow on the ground, it's averaging around 30 degrees during the day and 20 at night.

Question: will they be ok if we start locking them in their outside house at night (it is solid wood off of the ground with ventilation on top)?

I've heard mixed things about bringing them onto a warm atmosphere even just part of the day keeping them from growing adequate down and possibly making them sick from the temperature change...although we've been bringing them from warm to cold for the past month at least and they seem fine, but as it gets colder and snowy I'm a little concerned. How should we proceed? Should we keep bringing them in at night or is that overall a worse idea for them then letting them sleep outside? Thanks so much for any help, I just love these babies and don't want to unintentionally harm them and am very nervous for their first night outside.

I have 4 runner ducks that are about 3 months old. We have been letting them outside during the day and then bring them inside (our house) at night while we finish their house, which will be done today. We live in Maine and now have snow on the ground, it's averaging around 30 degrees during the day and 20 at night.

Question: will they be ok if we start locking them in their outside house at night (it is solid wood off of the ground with ventilation on top)?

I've heard mixed things about bringing them onto a warm atmosphere even just part of the day keeping them from growing adequate down and possibly making them sick from the temperature change...although we've been bringing them from warm to cold for the past month at least and they seem fine, but as it gets colder and snowy I'm a little concerned. How should we proceed? Should we keep bringing them in at night or is that overall a worse idea for them then letting them sleep outside? Thanks so much for any help, I just love these babies and don't want to unintentionally harm them and am very nervous for their first night outside.
20201204_10372515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom