Accurate thermometer hygrometer combo

Jlee203

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
What thermometer/hygrometer combos have you had success with? Right now I've got a couple of cheap ones that line up pretty close to each other but I don't really know how accurate they are. I ordered a brinsea spot check thermometer and it fluctuates up and down 3-4 degrees. My incubator is in a draft free room so I doubt the temp is fluctuating that much inside the incubator. It also stopped working and just has a flashing L. I'd really like to find a reliable combo, so if anyone has one they swear by, please share!

I use the accurite brand combo digital one and it works like a charm. I also have another digital combo one that is Vick's brand and that one works well too. For a while I was hatching with only the accurite one as both my temperature and humidity monitor, and all the eggs did well. It doesn't show fractions of degrees though, only whole degrees, so now I also use a reptile thermometer with it, just to make myself feel better, lol.

Yeah, I was about to post a question similar to this. I have made my own incubator and am trying to get the temp right. I have 4 thermometers, the accurite combo you mention, a fish aquarium one, a meat thermometer and one for reptiles. When the heat is off they all read the same. When I put the heat on they all get different. The combo reads 6 degrees hotter than the meat thermometer and the other two are between those two. Which should I trust? Is the combo doing wet bulb temp? Is that why it is hotter? I don't know the difference between regular and wet bulb temp. Help?

Last edited:
Yeah, I was about to post a question similar to this. I have made my own incubator and am trying to get the temp right. I have 4 thermometers, the accurite combo you mention, a fish aquarium one, a meat thermometer and one for reptiles. When the heat is off they all read the same. When I put the heat on they all get different. The combo reads 6 degrees hotter than the meat thermometer and the other two are between those two. Which should I trust. Is the combo doing wet bulp temp. Is that why it is hotter? I don't know the difference between regular and wet bulb temp. Help?

Do you have a still air or forced air incubator?

It has a small fan as I read that helped circulate the air and balance the temp. I can disconnect that if needed though.

Nope, I was actually thinking you might be still air because that causes pockets of heat, whereas with forced air everything should be even. Have you tried calibrating the thermometers using the ice water method? Then you would definitely know which were accurate and if any were off, how off they are.

Oh by the way don't try to calibrate the combo this way, it shouldn't be immersed in water, lol.

Last edited:
I tested them all in an area I know the temp is 35 degrees in and they have been tested in just our room temp. They all are the same until I turn on the bulb in the incubator I thought it might still be pockets of air and moved them around the incubator, laying down or standing up. When the duo says 99 degrees the meat thermometer says 93, the aquarium one reads 94 maybe 95 and the reptile one reads 94.

In that case, since the others are reading close together and the combo is the outlier, I would say the combo is reading high, especially if it's reading like that in all areas when you move it around. I'd say to go with the lower reading ones being correct and use those to determine temperature.

I have an accurite combo as well as the little thermometer/hygrometer that came with my hovabator. These two are almost right on with each other, but I'm on day 18 of incubation and my hatch is not looking very promising so now I'm questioning their accuracy. This is my 2nd incubation (the first was a fail), so I'm still trying to figure it all out. I really need a good thermometer/hygrometer that I can trust the accuracy. I'm tired of losing eggs
1f622.png

Back
Top Bottom