Accurite thermo frustration!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Two Accurite thermometers I've purchased have been HORRID. I thought it was my 'bator refusing to stabilize, turns out it was the Accu-Wrongs. The readings are OK sometimes, but sometimes they drift low... I have nooooo idea why.

[​IMG]

I gave up and bought an expensive thermocouple thermometer from Thermoworks ($40 for the meter, $40 for the probe) which is highly rated and guaranteed to be accurate w/in one degree.

It's got a needle probe, which I inserted into a small soft plastic bottle filled with water. If I can find an egg size medicine vial, that will be a perfect 'egg' to probe.

[​IMG]

Anyway, thought I'd post about it and am interested to hear if anyone else is having the same trouble with Accu-Wrongs.

2. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    My accurite is only off by about 1 degree, but consistently so. I was getting frustrated because I had 6 different thermometers at one point, and all of them with different readings (only one accurite). I ended up ordering a Brinsea thermometer with a probe I can just hang through one of the holes in the incubator at the level of the eggs and do spot checks. This has worked wonderfully. It has an accuracy to +or-.2 degree F. Most of the thermometers at the store are just not accurate enough for incubators.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Accurite works perfect, so does my Springfield. They are both right on the money.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I don't know if mine is right or wrong, but my eggs are hatching perfectly. (knock on wood)

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using 4 thermometers right now, and they're all pretty close. The Acurite seems to read .5 higher, and the meat thermo with the probe in the wiggler reads .5 lower than the other two. This is my first hatch, so, I'm just guessing I'm in the ballpark right now at 99.4 to 99.9 ish. Got Seramas in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by