Ace Hardware "Wild Bird Feed"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hey Kids!

I usually buy scratch grains for my girls. Since I'm in the city it costs about $9.00 for a 50 lb. bag. Ace Hardware had a 20% off sale and I saw wild bird feed for $2.50 for a 20 lb bag. Well, I bought one to try out for my girls since I thought they would like the diversity.

I only use scratch as a treat, so if I only use this wild bird feed as a treat is it as good, better, or worse than regular old scratch?

2. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    I would think it would be alright as long as scratch is just a treat anyways. I'd just double check the ingredients to make sure you don't see anything your unsure of. I know totally changing their feed can cause stress to a flock, but as atreat, the only problem I can see is the need for quite a large birdbath when they start "songbirding" around the yard...[​IMG]

3. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    That brings up a thought. A question actually. What about chickens eating the fall off from bird feeders in yard? I am sure once mine find them they will surely eat whats there. Should I be concerned? I feed mostly unshelled sunflower, thistle, mixed, and suets.

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I dunno, either. A lady I got some birds from once told me thats what she supplements with. It can't hurt! And if your birds are PIGS [​IMG] like mine, every little bit helps!

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    There is nothing in the wild bird seed mixes that will harm a chicken. If the ground is moist enough and it starts to sprout they will enjoy it even more.

6. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    My chickens make a bee-line to the spot under the bird feeder to eat anything thing that's fallen. They love it. [​IMG]

Another good thing to keep on hand is those blocks of black oil sunflower seeds. I keep them in the coop for really bad weather days, it gives them something to do and takes at least a day for them to pick it apart.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:If I have understood your situation correctly, you do not have that many birds...it certainly is not wise to buy a 50 lb bag of scratch!!! A rule of thumb is that what ever bag you open should be gone within three weeks of opening it...that or you are going to have to have a very stable type of storage for you feed...(here is an EXCELLENT article on mycotoxins and feed storage)...
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/disaster/drought/dro-29.html

8. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I can't remember where I saw it, but I read about someone's feed recipe using a portion of wild bird seed, among other things. My only concern with the birds picking under the bird feeder is that they would pick something up, illness-wise, from the wild birds, since obviously there is going to be wild bird doo under there, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by