Ack! 2 hour temp mess up...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
This is what happens when you have 738 things going on at the same time
hmm.png

So, now on day 10, having spent the first half of incubation manually turning eggs, I went and bought an auto turner for my LG. Here comes my newbie mistake...I then ran out to the store, coming back nearly 2 hours later, finding the temp at 108. Didn't consider how the eggs being higher would make the hotter. So, question is, do you think 2 hours at this temp cooked them?

Probably not is what I think. Heat transfer through air is not nearly as effective as heat transfer through water or oil, so it may have taken some time for the eggs to get to the higher temperature. And it may have taken the incubator awhile to get up to 108. If it were me, I'd keep 'em going at regular incubating temperature & candle them again in a few days to look for bad news.

Don't freak out. It definitely canm cook them. 2+ hours over 104 gets a substantial percentage kill. Supposedly any time at 108 is bad.
That said, I had temps swing from 92 to 108+ for god knows how long.
I thought my eggs were fried so I quit turning them at week 1. Out of 30 eggs 2 hatched despite all my attempts to kill them.

Keep the faith.

Back
Top Bottom