Acquired Chickens and Coop this weekend. Excited but worried the Ladies won't roost at night

werbert

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
We have been thinking of getting chickens for a long while and have done random research. And then, of course, a deal comes up we can't walk away from.
We adopt two 2-yr old Silver Lace Wyandottes and their coop. We built a run (their old one wasn't the least secure) and move them on Sunday, just 3 days ago.

They seem happy and healthy. One laid an egg while in the wire kennel Sunday afternoon while we were putting the finishing touches securing coop and run together! Their feathers are glossy and they follow us around the perimeter of the run clucking away. Awesome...

So here's our issue: Every night they put themselves to bed (so says their previous owner) but at our house they just perch in the doorway. They never go inside to roost. They just seem to sit there all night. It hasn't been THAT cold lately but should I be worried? Should I make a door to the coop and lock them in? We tried setting one on the roost last night but she just hopped right down and went back to the doorway.

Do they need time to adjust even though their coop is exactly the same? The run and outside environment are totally different. In fact, the are probably getting more sunshine at our house.

Any reassurance is appreciated! Love this site and thanks!

They will roost where they want to. It's rather difficult to make chickens do what they don't want to.
You can try waiting till it's very dark, then place them each inside on the roost. A few days of waking up there might convince them that is where they are supposed to sleep.
Also keep in mind, those two hens are almost at the age where they will slow down egg production. Don't expect an egg a day from each girl. In my opinion, they make entertaining pets even without the eggs.
Welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks! I do think they're entertaining and delightful to have. Hoping to add 2 more eventually.

Back
Top Bottom