Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

Pics
Did a candle last night to try and get an idea of what is going on with eggs in the incubators. Pulled 2 out of 22 in the nurture rite and 4 out of the 90plus in the cabinet incubator. Not bad at all! I took a peak at the shipped eggs but will wait till friday night to candle and pull non starters. I hate to rush them but I will need space to lockdown the eggs due Saturday and Sunday, so the shipped eggs will move to the cabinet and this weekends hatch will get locked down in the brinsea. I did see some promising looking veins. I also saw some that just looked like yolks, I am sure that is due to the shipping. Even a couple of each breed will be a big excitement for me!

View attachment 2005675View attachment 2005676ot our chick tv set back up today. And have 4 turkeys out so far. 2 black and 2 brown
I have a similar brooder size, shape etc. But mine you can only see through the top, its has solid plywood walls. I always hated this because you approach chicks from the top like a predator. I used to brood in a dog crate and the chicks could see me coming. The dog crate chicks turned out super friendly and three years later I cannot sit or crouch down without them jumping on my lap or shoulders. How did you make the side clear? Is that glass? Plexiglass? I want to make this adjustment to my brooder but unsure how to accomplish this. Could you give me some pointers? Thanks

Are you hatching any black nn's for your daughter this time?
oh always! DD has me setting EVERY egg that comes from her black Necked neck pen. this past hatch we ended up with 2 full feathered black ones and one white Necked neck from another pen. we are waiting anxiously to see what this weekend brings.

oh always! DD has me setting EVERY egg that comes from her black Necked neck pen. this past hatch we ended up with 2 full feathered black ones and one white Necked neck from another pen. we are waiting anxiously to see what this weekend brings.

Cool! I hope that she get's what she wants. I'm doing some B/B/S NN's this go around. They were shipped from Florida.

Cool! I hope that she get's what she wants. I'm doing some B/B/S NN's this go around. They were shipped from Florida.
We had a hard time finding anyone working with black necked necks so she had to start from scratch last year with what we had, a white Nn rooster and black austolorp hens. Out of 30plus hatchlings she managed to get 2 black Nn and one sexlink nn with black as her primary color so this year she is getting more black but only half are nn

We had a hard time finding anyone working with black necked necks so she had to start from scratch last year with what we had, a white Nn rooster and black austolorp hens. Out of 30plus hatchlings she managed to get 2 black Nn and one sexlink nn with black as her primary color so this year she is getting more black but only half are nn

I bought my B/B/S NN hatching egg's through here in the hatching egg's thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade section from @pidgey104 She pack's them good. None were cracked or broken.

Tonight we candled all the eggs currently incubating, including the eggs that were shipped.
20200207_183955.jpg
one legbar is alive.
20200207_184021.jpg
several were bloodrings
20200207_184212.jpg
this one was an early dead
20200207_184350.jpg
we did find quite a few turkey and marans that look promising 7 turkey 11 marans and 1 legbar still in the incubator. They have been moved to the cabinet incubator so that I could use the brinsea for lockdown this weekend
20200207_193455.jpg
20200207_193341.jpg
here are the ones that we pulled . I do believe the issue was shipping not a problem with the eggs sent. They only traveled through 2 major depots and arrived in great shape but I think that along the way they got jostled too much. I am hopeful for the remaining eggs and will be happy as long as something hatches.

Tonight we candled all the eggs currently incubating, including the eggs that were shipped.View attachment 2021028one legbar is alive.View attachment 2021032several were bloodringsView attachment 2021034this one was an early deadView attachment 2021042we did find quite a few turkey and marans that look promising 7 turkey 11 marans and 1 legbar still in the incubator. They have been moved to the cabinet incubator so that I could use the brinsea for lockdown this weekend View attachment 2021045View attachment 2021047here are the ones that we pulled . I do believe the issue was shipping not a problem with the eggs sent. They only traveled through 2 major depots and arrived in great shape but I think that along the way they got jostled too much. I am hopeful for the remaining eggs and will be happy as long as something hatches.
It has been my experience that Legbar eggs do not handle shipping well especially when the receiving end is at high altitude.

Back
Top Bottom