Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

Pics

aliciaplus3

Free Ranging
Oct 24, 2016
Colorado
Howdy folks!
I have been having trouble keeping track of where I have posted and where I have not in response to hatch a longs, so I have decided to create a thread where I can (hopefully) keep a running dialog going about what is currently hatching.
20200105_190957.jpg
I have 4 (or 5?) incubators going for the foreseeable future with staggered hatches scheduled each weekend from now till?? I am going to say may!
20200105_090702.jpg

My youngest Daughter is currently hatching heritage turkeys out of her black breeding pen, ok so we have a few other colors 'hidden' in her breeders so we are getting barred black, chocolate, barred chocolate as well as the pure black she is looking for. She started setting eggs the end of Nov so we have been hatching turkeys the past 3 weekends with planned hatches through the end of Feb. She is getting set up to take some to our county fair in July! This is a 4H project so she is in charge of who is in the breeding pen and witch ones she keeps as grow outs. Last year she took Reserve Champion overall for breeding birds and Reserve Champion for meat turkeys against some broad breasted birds!
A side Turkey project is my blue slates, they are in with a couple of standard bronze hens so I hope to get some interesting things out of this pen!
20191228_150159.jpg
New brooder unit that we bought with the hope that it makes brooding ducks easier!
My middle Daughter put her Pekin ducks in a breeding pen so that she can start collecting hatching eggs the last week of Jan, with a hatch planned each of the first 3 weekends of March. Last year she took Grand and Reserve Champion meat ducks at our county fair, but with very little competition. This year she should have more competition so we will see how she does!
We are also hatching some Black Necked Necks and planning on trying for some birds out of our red broiler hens that we kept from last year covered by my Big Delaware cross rooster. the girls plan to enter some of the last cross in a dual purpose meat pen.
phew! so many things going on and so little time!
I would love to see folks chime in with what they are working on currently.

20200130_083351.jpg
I promised to post updates on my next very special hatch. Got the call from the post office at about 7:25 am thst my eggs were ready for pickup! Wow @Bantambird Did s great job packing these babies for the trip!
20200130_083428.jpg
20200130_162747.jpg
20200130_162420.jpg
each egg carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and tissue paper! Layered ever so neatly! Only one egg in the bery bottom corner was cracked. It was against the corner so I think it recieved a thump!
20200130_163946.jpg
turkey, black silver marans, blue silver marans, gold crele legbar! Wow!
20200130_204213.jpg
fit all but 6 in my brinsea ovation 56ex, the last 6 I found spots for in my cabinet incubator. Chicken egg will be due feb 20 and turkey feb 27th. I plan to post updates here. I understand the eggs are from about 3000 feet above sea level and we sit at just under 6000 so I plan to run humidity around 35 for the first week then check air cells and make adjustments if nessisary.
eddited to adjust cereal to crele humph stupid auto correct!

Last edited:
Look at this coloring 😍 I'm obsessed with this chick!

View attachment 2013936
I will have to take pics of one of the little EE's that I hatched for a friend... it looked black ish when it hatched but has morphed into a brindle grayish one.... omg Its cute! I have a weakness for odd colors. so much that I have very few "normal" colors in my flock... ok maybe that will not be true later this year as I have 2 shipments coming from 2 seperate hatcheries with 15 delaware and 10 white rock pullets from each. maybe part of my flock will stay predominantly white?
Oh I almost forgot I am expecting a shipment of eggs from @Bantambird that are black silver and blue silver marans, gold crele legbars and assorted turkey colors!
I plan to document the arrival of the shipment and the hatching here!

20200118_122428.jpg
here is Big boy he is the son of thst gifted white rooster
20200118_122422.jpg
and his son big white... my kids give me a bad time about my unoriginal names
20190720_205748.jpg
blue foot who is also out of that big white rooster
20191019_154235.jpg
his son whitey the black Nn rooster who is the dad to my DD's black Nn babies we are currently hatching... whew

Attachments

• 20200122_173652.jpg
    20200122_173652.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom