Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

Pics

aliciaplus3

Free Ranging
Oct 24, 2016
Colorado
Howdy folks!
I have been having trouble keeping track of where I have posted and where I have not in response to hatch a longs, so I have decided to create a thread where I can (hopefully) keep a running dialog going about what is currently hatching.
20200105_190957.jpg
I have 4 (or 5?) incubators going for the foreseeable future with staggered hatches scheduled each weekend from now till?? I am going to say may!
20200105_090702.jpg

My youngest Daughter is currently hatching heritage turkeys out of her black breeding pen, ok so we have a few other colors 'hidden' in her breeders so we are getting barred black, chocolate, barred chocolate as well as the pure black she is looking for. She started setting eggs the end of Nov so we have been hatching turkeys the past 3 weekends with planned hatches through the end of Feb. She is getting set up to take some to our county fair in July! This is a 4H project so she is in charge of who is in the breeding pen and witch ones she keeps as grow outs. Last year she took Reserve Champion overall for breeding birds and Reserve Champion for meat turkeys against some broad breasted birds!
A side Turkey project is my blue slates, they are in with a couple of standard bronze hens so I hope to get some interesting things out of this pen!
20191228_150159.jpg
New brooder unit that we bought with the hope that it makes brooding ducks easier!
My middle Daughter put her Pekin ducks in a breeding pen so that she can start collecting hatching eggs the last week of Jan, with a hatch planned each of the first 3 weekends of March. Last year she took Grand and Reserve Champion meat ducks at our county fair, but with very little competition. This year she should have more competition so we will see how she does!
We are also hatching some Black Necked Necks and planning on trying for some birds out of our red broiler hens that we kept from last year covered by my Big Delaware cross rooster. the girls plan to enter some of the last cross in a dual purpose meat pen.
phew! so many things going on and so little time!
I would love to see folks chime in with what they are working on currently.

We added lights the end of October so we could be hatching now in order to have birds ready for fair in July.
we currently have 3 turkey hens broody, yes 2 of them got eggs to hatch. We will see how that goes. But we are dow to 4 eggs or so a day from 12 turkey hens.

I've considered installing lights, but with an all electric home our electric bills are sky-high now. But I'm hoping. We've had a mild winter (our little pecan tree is starting to bloom as are the roses) and the sun is getting higher in the sky with lengthening days. Together, with layer mash, I'm hoping the turkeys nest early. My birds free range. Some years they've nested and hatched poults in Dec. and Jan. without artificial lighting.:fl

I've considered installing lights, but with an all electric home our electric bills are sky-high now. But I'm hoping. We've had a mild winter (our little pecan tree is starting to bloom as are the roses) and the sun is getting higher in the sky with lengthening days. Together, with layer mash, I'm hoping the turkeys nest early. My birds free range. Some years they've nested and hatched poults in Dec. and Jan. without artificial lighting.:fl
Not heat lamps but LEDs just like in my living room. You are going for daylight hours not heat.
I think I have 6 running and at 6 watts each they draw less than an old fashion 100 watt bulb.
Now heating the brooder and the electric for the incubators is more

Back
Top Bottom