Acres Poultry hatching thread with aliciaplus3!

That's a midget?!

Interested to see how well that turns them.
Seems to turn very well.
20200113_213540.jpg
the turner loaded with eggs
20200113_213544.jpg
the scavenged "brain" that I have hooked up. Turns every 2 hours. I have the cord run down through a vent hole on my antique cabinet bator. I was able to increase the number of eggs per tray. Before I was running 2 stand alone turners that held 40 each now I am running the 360degree turner that can hold 50 or more I think? And one of the 40 egg units. The second stand alone turner is being used to store eggs waiting to go in the incubators.
20200113_214242.jpg
next I need to work on additional growout space!

Boy, that puppy is jam packed!
No X's and O's to observe movements?
I can turn it at with the push of a button to test movement and I did observe all the eggs turning. I might add some x and o s though that's a good idea!

On a sad note I learned the hard way not to adjust a wafer thermostat very much at a time. I moved all the babies that hatched over the weekend into the new brooder last night, they were doggie piling and crying right under the heater. So I turned it up, and then again. Well I walked away and when they were just screeching I went back to find out why, and found that the heat had gotten over 100 degrees and most of them died of overheating.
I spent 2 hours trying to save the few I could and get the brooder readjusted so that they could be comfortable.
I am just devastated! My DD's 2 black Nn were some of the ones that didnt make it along with 10 to 12 bcm. I lost count of the dead and just started concentrating on the ones still moving.
On an interesting note I have a chocolate turkey from that batch that insist on trying to escape through the water slot and run on the floor so she is back in the small tote where she can not get out and after adding a chickie friend she seems to be settling in?

I can turn it at with the push of a button to test movement and I did observe all the eggs turning. I might add some x and o s though that's a good idea!
Wish all turners could be manually activated....X&o are good for long term observation.

most of them died of overheating.
ACK!!! :(

Do you check air cells or weigh during incubation?
Glance at air cells as we are candling. Used to trace air cells but recently we have been running so many through that we just verify that the eggs are good and that air cells look ok and move on.
I have been running what most folks would call a dry incubation at around 25 to 35% in the cabinet incubator. But setting anything that would need higher humidity in the 360, so small light colored eggs or very porous ones then keeping the humidity near 40 to 45%.
When we finished the last hatch and moved this hatch into the brinsea I forgot to lower the humidity setting from 65 to the normal 25 I use during the incubation period , so these eggs ran a few extra days with higher humidity. I usually bump humidity on Wednesday but this time I will wait till Friday morning

Back
Top Bottom