Acting egg bound can't feel an egg

Save a Chick is electrolytes, so NutriDrench is better for her than that, you are right.

I did some research and from what I've read and can see in your hen, I think she may have egg yolk peritonitis or EYP. This is when egg yolks drop into her abdomen, instead of becoming eggs. Walking like a penguin is a key sign of this, and so is her posture. It is common in backyard flocks once hens reach laying age.

Unfortunately, the prognosis is usually poor unless birds can get to a vet. The best you can do, if this is what she has, is to give her antibiotics and attentive nursing care.

A tblsp of Oregano mixed with food is a natural antibiotic. The resulting bacterial infection needs to be fought if she is to have a chance.

I pray for her sake that I'm wrong :fl

I hope so too. I've read through and saw that too, but she doesn't have any swelling in her belly or fluid. I just checked and lubbed her vent. Felt no egg, feces, etc. I don't know of any vets that take chickens around me. I'll call neighboring towns tomorrow and see if I can find one. Thanks for your info! I'll try your suggestions and pray!

Also I forgot to ask, I've read in several places to give them tums. But I haven't because I didn't think this was egg binding since I could not feel an egg. Should I still try tums? She's on layer with access to oyster shell..

I wouldn't give her tums. She has enough things going through her system right now, as it is.

Well she's been up moving around more today and occasionally making happy noises. I gave her yogurt with feed mixed in, scrambled eggs with oregano. She's eating much better today. She still only takes a few steps then stops but is standing more. Still no swelling in abdomen. This morning she seemed to be straining and grunting had a good poop. Kinda hard. I wonder if she might have been constipated. Maybe all the fluids yesterday helped move things along. Still a bit guarded on prognosis though. But will keep on trying. Thanks for checking on her!

If she is trying to lay an egg...calcium/tums IS a good idea.
The boost in calcium might be what she needs to push the egg out.

Did you stick a finger inside to feel for an egg?
This article explains how to check:
Egg Binding: Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention
Also my problem is she seems perfectly normal, eating and drinking well. Red wattles and comb, alert, breathing fine. Her symptoms are walking like a penguin, fluffed up, tail down. That's all. I've been searching discussions for 2 days and nothing matches her symptoms ...

Back
Top Bottom